Any Way to Search backwards within a Workbook ?

mstuf

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Morning

I use Control - F to search forward from a point within my Workbook and it looks forward for all instances of the search request.

Many of the Finds that i need to do are for Terms that there are Hundreds or even Thousands of within my Workbook.

I Sometimes Drop back a Few hundred Lines and then start my search - forward, working back up to my current row to find the most recent example of that Find Keyword. But Unless I write down every line number that comes up, when I pass that last instance of it and arrive back at my current row - I then have to go back and Search again, narrowing my range because I have passed it. ( I don't know that an example Found is the last one in the worksheet until I am past it and back at my Working Row) .

Is there a way perform a Search, BACKWARDS from where I am in my Workbook ??

Thanks MIKE

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
No it cant work backwards. Could be done with code but it would be slower than your native find. If you select cells before you use find then Excel will only search in that area.

Upvote 0
Was afraid of that -- I probably isnt a feature many would use.

The Knowledge base on this board never ceases to Amaze me so i figured I might as well ask.

My application / method is kind of unique / odd the way I use it.

Thank you -

Mike

Upvote 0
Once you've done your Find, close the Find dialog, and use Shift-F4 to perform Find Next, and use Ctrl-Shift-F4 to Find Previous. ( I can only tell you that this works in Excel 97 ).

Upvote 0
As Stated

The Knowledge base on this board never ceases to Amaze me

It works in 2000 too!

Thank You SO Much -- AGAIN

Mike

Upvote 0
Super. Thanks for checking, Parsnip and mstuf and MOB, glad it works on the new fangled versions too. :)

Upvote 0
Once you've done your Find, close the Find dialog, and use Shift-F4 to perform Find Next, and use Ctrl-Shift-F4 to Find Previous. ( I can only tell you that this works in Excel 97 ).

Thanks Glenn, I stand corrected. (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back