Error Checking in Excel
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How can I put dash in Data Validation

I want ot use Data Validation in Cell but my problem is , I want to put "-" in cell also but it not work with Data Validation Assume. I want number 1 to 14 to put in Cell and I want "-" (dash) to put also ( dash putting like no data )

Rest in Peace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid you have lost me. Could you give a relavant example?

Example. in Cell A1 ,The User should puting number 1 - 14 or put - (dash) in Cell A1 ,How can I do this with Data Validation (I use Criteria-Whole number ; number 1 - 14 is accept ,but -(dash) not accept by Data Validation. How can i do this or I have to choose another criteria ?

Rest in Peace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you place all possible numbers is a list and Then use the "LIst' criteria?

Yes , that Idea it work but acctually my number is 1-99999 so its a lot to putting is list . Do you have other Idea ? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-12 04:40, Anonymous wrote:
    Example. in Cell A1 ,The User should puting number 1 - 14 or put - (dash) in Cell A1 ,How can I do this with Data Validation (I use Criteria-Whole number ; number 1 - 14 is accept ,but -(dash) not accept by Data Validation. How can i do this or I have to choose another criteria ?
    If you can manage using -9 instead of a - (dash), you can set up a 'custom' data validation in A1, where the formula below will do what you want:

=AND(ISNUMBER(A1),OR(A1=-9,AND(A1-INT(A1)=0,A1>0,A1<100000)))

On 2002-03-12 04:07, Anonymous wrote:
    I want ot use Data Validation in Cell but my problem is , I want to put "-" in cell also but it not work with Data Validation Assume. I want number 1 to 14 to put in Cell and I want "-" (dash) to put also ( dash putting like no data )
    If you custom format the cell so that zero is formatted as a "-", you can then data validate between 0 & 14, but the user will have to enter 0 rather than "-". Is this acceptable, or must the user enter a "-"?

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others