Copy question - I am new please help fast

brian_123

I have a csv file that I saved as an html document. I open it in my browser and use the copy command. When I use the paste command in dreamweaver the html comes in as one long string. Help

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Brian: this isn't really an Excel question, more of a Dreamweaver question, but.. there's a MUCH easier way to get Excel into a Web page using DW.

First, scrap your HTML file. You don't need it. Your CSV will do just fine.

Next, open your target web page, and position the cursor where you want the table to appear.

Then use Dreamweaver's "Insert Tabular Data" command to import the Excel data into a table in one step. The command is on your Insert menu, and also should appear on your Tools palette under the Common section (icon looks like a table with an arrow superimposed on the lower right corner).

Select your CSV file in the dialog that appears, set your formatting options, and click OK.

Voila! Instant table. Adjust formatting as necessary.

The Dreamweaver Help files are VERY complete, and are worth a good read. Your Properties Bar has a "help" icon that'll retrieve help info on whatever it is you have selected. Also most dialogs and wizards have Help attached. Use it. DW has one of the most complete and readable Helpfile systems of all the programs I've ever used.

Regards,

George Erhard
Course Developer (and local DW guru)
SBC Internet Services

Upvote 0
Ouch. That complicates things.

The only way I can think of to accomplish this is to continually export the CSV with your macro, and then load the CSV data into the web page by using ASP (Active Server Pages) instead of a static HTML page.

There may be another way to do it with #include statements, but I think the only way to dynamically refresh data over the web is via some sort of scripting language external to Excel.

It's definitely do-able... but I think you'll need more than just your Excel macro to do it.

Oh yes! Make sure your Excel macro saves the CSV to a folder that the Web server can "see" (doesn't have to be on the web server, just on a server that is in the same domain and that "system" events from other computers can access). Otherwise when users hit the web page, it won't be able to dynamically fetch the most recent data due to permissions problems. So definitely don't save the file on your local box. It has to be on a fileshare that's available whenever the web server is running.

(If your eyeballs are starting to glaze with all this Web stuff, go take your local ASP or Javascript guru out to lunch and pose the question. They should be able to lend some insight into a solution for you.)

Good luck!

- G

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KH Consulting

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back