How to ask a question

Steve Hartman

Pardon me Mr. Excel, but after the latest experience of showing someone how to do what they asked, only to have them say,"But that's not what I really wanted to do", I have to vent.

(SOAPBOX MODE ON)

Folks, most of the people answering questions on here have real jobs. We get on here during breaks and lunch to try and help. We really do want to help. Please don't waste our time by doing one of the following:

Don't ask "How do I add 10 to each number in a row" when what you really want to do is divide by 5.

Don't say I want to be able to pull the number only out of cells that say Weight=90 and then after you've gotten the answer say but all the cells say weight=90kgs, how do I do that?

If you're an A level, or any other, student trying to get someone else to do your homework, forget it! I've already trained more than my share of clueless bosses who cheated their way through school in my 28 year career.

When asking a question, proper spelling and punctuation are your friends. They help us understand what you need.

And lastly, many of the questions on here would be answered if you would just use the Excel help function. When you need a function, click the = sign in the formula bar. It will show you all the functions categorized by type, and give you the syntax of their use.

(SOAPBOX MODE OFF)

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Aloha All again,

I've read this thread and would like to add a few more comments. I am very new to Excel as you all can see by the answers that I have asked. I am guilty of not consulting the help directory in the past. I also have a difficult time explaining things of which I know little about. However all of you have been most gracious in your help and I thank-you very much not only for your answers but your kindness and patience. I feel very comfortable posting now, although some might take offense at my post and to those, I sincerely apologize.

Brian

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-12 23:04, Dave Hawley wrote:
Hey Ivan, I heard you sent an Excel user to a "Chep pearson" site once by mistake ;o)

Fraudian slip ?? :wink:
No genuian mistake......No disrespect
intended to "Chip"

Ivan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back