The incredible growing file!

noahcount

Newbie here! Nice board..., shoulda been here years ago! I have a file that contains 4 queries and some financial statement type ranges that I publish to a website with VB. The processing time for the file/code has increased gradually over the year as well as the file size. Started @ 500k and grew to 5,000+k in 6 months. Excel 2000 and Win2000 pro. The only changes to the file have been from daily updates to the queries which only contain summary data. The file has slowed to the point of hanging the system. I copied the queries, code, and print ranges to a new file and it flies again. What gives?

Is your data inserted each time? This could cause unnecessary leftover cells with *stuff* (formatting, etc.) being saved in them. To test, open and click on A1, hit Shift-Ctrl-End. Is more than your data selected? If so, delete.

Are you building up formats in your file? Always format by grouping as many columns, rows, cells as possible, then apply the desired format. If I format 10 cells individually, Excel saves 10 formats. If I format 10 cells at once, Excel saves 1 format.

Also, copying sheets to a new workbook (instead of copy/paste cells) sometimes gets rid of potential corruption, though I consider this less likely in your case.

Just some thoughts...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMarty

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back