using the "values" command

giraffe

Can anyone help! This one is driving me nuts! I am trying to transform cells with formulas into cells with "real" numbers. I am using "edit, paste special, values" to do it. The problem is, when the numbers are transformed, they become fractions and alter the sums on my spreadsheet. Is there a way around this? Any tips would be great! THANKS!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
On 2002-03-12 16:06, giraffe wrote:
Can anyone help! This one is driving me nuts! I am trying to transform cells with formulas into cells with "real" numbers. I am using "edit, paste special, values" to do it. The problem is, when the numbers are transformed, they become fractions and alter the sums on my spreadsheet. Is there a way around this? Any tips would be great! THANKS!

Are your cells formatted as fractions? Also, how does this alter the sums? If Excel is recognizing the number as a fraction, it is still a number. Therefore, it can be summed. Can you post an example?

Regards,

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-12 18:52, Barrie Davidson wrote:

Are your cells formatted as fractions? Also, how does this alter the sums? If Excel is recognizing the number as a fraction, it is still a number. Therefore, it can be summed. Can you post an example?

Regards,

Barrie,
Thanks so much for even entertaining this problem! It is really difficult to explain without being able to show you but here goes. It is not that Excel is not "summing" the numbers. When I transform a number that is a sum into a real number it alters the sum because the number changes. Here is an example:
0.67% * 9.57% = 0.06% when I do a "copy, edit, paste special, values" 0.06% becomes 0.064119% which ultimately changes the sum total of my spreadsheet. I need to find out if it is at all possible to have 0.06% remain 0.06% and not become 0.064119%. Do you know if this is possible, and if so, how? I hope I am being clear!
Thanks again, giraffe

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-13 14:51, giraffe wrote:

Regards,

Barrie,
Thanks so much for even entertaining this problem! It is really difficult to explain without being able to show you but here goes. It is not that Excel is not "summing" the numbers. When I transform a number that is a sum into a real number it alters the sum because the number changes. Here is an example:
0.67% * 9.57% = 0.06% when I do a "copy, edit, paste special, values" 0.06% becomes 0.064119% which ultimately changes the sum total of my spreadsheet. I need to find out if it is at all possible to have 0.06% remain 0.06% and not become 0.064119%. Do you know if this is possible, and if so, how? I hope I am being clear!
Thanks again, giraffe

Did you consider activating "Precision As Displayed" before Edit|Paste Special >Values?

Upvote 0
Barrie,
0.67% * 9.57% = 0.06%
when I do a "copy, edit, paste special, values" 0.06% becomes 0.064119% which ultimately changes the sum total of my spreadsheet. I need to find out if it is at all possible to have 0.06% remain 0.06% and not become 0.064119%. Do you know if this is possible, and if so, how? I hope I am being clear!
Thanks again, giraffe

Upvote 0
Thank you so much Aladin! Your suggestion worked. My entire office thanks you!
On 2002-03-13 14:53, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
On 2002-03-13 14:51, giraffe wrote:

Regards,

Barrie,
Thanks again, giraffe

Did you consider activating "Precision As Displayed" before Edit|Paste Special >Values?

Upvote 0
Aladin, your suggestion was exactly what I needed. Thanks so much. My entire office thanks you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back