Varying colour of data points

Fiona

Is there any way of having the first and last data point in a series showing up as a different colour automatically? I can manually change them when the chart has been made but would prefer if this happened automatically when data was entered into particular cells.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi,
I think you can do this.
Modify the chart to suit your requirements. Select the chart, (right click), chart type, customs types, user defined. The Add button will be enabled. Click on this and type any name & description for the "new type" of chart. You can set this as the default chart for all future use.
:biggrin: :LOL:

This message was edited by srinivas14 on 2002-03-13 04:42

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-13 04:38, srinivas14 wrote:
Hi,
I think you can do this.
Modify the chart to suit your requirements. Select the chart, (right click), chart type, customs types, user defined. The Add button will be enabled. Click on this and type any name & description for the "new type" of chart. You can set this as the default chart for all future use.
:biggrin: :LOL:

This message was edited by srinivas14 on 2002-03-13 04:42

Unfortunately, the concept of "first and last" as it pertains to data points isn't preserved by a user-defined custom format. If this format is saved for a chart with 5 data points and then applied to a chart with 6 the "first and the next to the last" markers are formatted. If fewer data points are involved only the "first" marker conforms.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-03-13 13:39

Upvote 0
Fiona, I thought of a work around while at lunch using the following data in cells A1:B7...

{"X","Endpoints"
;1,1
;2,#N/A
;3,#N/A
;4,#N/A
;5,#N/A
;6,6}

...The Endpoints formula is...

{=IF(OR(ROW()=MAX(ROW($A$2:$A$7)),ROW()=MIN(ROW($A$2:$A$7))),A2,#N/A)}

...when entered into cell B2 and copied down to B7.

Note: This is an array formula which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula.

This data can be charted as a Line chart with 2 series. Set the line attribute for the 2nd series (Endpoints) to None and format its markers as desired.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-03-13 11:18

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-13 11:17, Mark W. wrote:
Fiona, I thought of a work around while at lunch using the following data in cells A1:B7...

{"X","Endpoints"
;1,1
;2,#N/A
;3,#N/A
;4,#N/A
;5,#N/A
;6,6}

Note: This is an array formula which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula.

This data can be charted as a Line chart with 2 series. Set the line attribute for the 2nd series (Endpoints) to None and format its markers as desired.

Thanks for your help Mark. I am a bit unsure which cell this formula should go in? I work on a Mac which may make the command slightly different to ctrl+shift+enter?

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-17 18:20, Fiona wrote:
On 2002-03-13 11:17, Mark W. wrote:

{"X","Endpoints"
;1,1
;2,#N/A
;3,#N/A
;4,#N/A
;5,#N/A
;6,6}

Thanks for your help Mark. I am a bit unsure which cell this formula should go in? I work on a Mac which may make the command slightly different to ctrl+shift+enter?

On a Macintosh an array formula can be entered by using Control+Shift+Enter or Command+Enter. See the Excel Help topic for "About array formulas and how to enter them".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back