gantt question (diagonal candidate?)

ercstric

i am using the mullins steel boat example(conditional formatting) as the base for the following:
code start end 19:00 19:10 19:20
48 20:00 20:30
39 20:30 20:45
31 20:45 21:50
39 21:50 22:00
43 22:00 22:20
where a user enters a code and the the start and end time, then bars are highlighted corresponding with the block of time represented (using the conditional formula =AND(D$1>=$B2,D$1<=$C2)). what i want is for the user to enter a coded start and end and then display the corresponding time block on a single line, color coded by code. so mabey code 31 is yellow, and 48 is green. the times will not overlap, but there may be gaps between one codes end and the next sequential start.

thanks,
eric

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
not sure what the "diagonal" is that you're referring to, but the Gannt chart uses 3 conditions to plot the bars

plotting them in colours according to code would mean a fourth condition, which exceeds the amount of conditions in conditional format

However, I believe the many VBA experts may be able to code a way around this, so I'll chuck this post back to the top for ya

Hope this helps, albeit probably negatively
Chris
:)

Upvote 0
to clarify, i want users to enter codes (like 31,48,34,39,43 etc.) with a start and end time, and have it plotted on a single time line, with each code being a unique color

Upvote 0
yup, your bar in the chart uses up 3 conditions

>= start time
> start time and< end time<= end time

conditional format only allows 3 conditions

further colouring any bar based on a fourth exceeds this capacity

(ummm, I think)

I've read that this can be overcome via VBA but my knowledge of VBA is about as reliable as a Zimbabwean Election Co-ordinator....
This message was edited by Chris Davison on 2002-03-13 15:55

Upvote 0
i am open to any other formats that could accomplish the single line gantt. so if you are holding back because of my original format -- DONT!

eric

Upvote 0
Emailed your workbook.....note code
only applicable to the range you had set out
in the sheet......

HTH

Ivan

Upvote 0
Eric,

I do have a messy workaround that is non-VBA which satisfies as many colours as you have in your background pattern palette (and thus around 40 of your codes) but it's a real pain in the backside.

in the very unlikely occurance of Ivan not being able to sort you out, repost and I'll type it all out.

it's basically extending conditional format beyond the 3 normal colours but is a real last resort

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back