Adding 1 to a cell contents

Anakha

Hi,

I'm sure this is a very simple question with a very simple solution but I hardly ever use Excel and I just can't seem to track down any help or guidance on how to do this.

What I'd like to do is put a number in a cell and then, when pressing some defined keys, add 1 to that number and then display the new number. For example, if the contents of a cell were 5 I'd like to highlight the cell, press my keys and get Excel to add 1 to the 5 and display the new cell contents as 6 and so on and so on.

Is that doable in Excel?

Any help and advbice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Robert Slater.
Frustrated Civil Servant.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You could do this via a spin button as follows: -

Open up the control toolbox and select the spin button control.

'Draw' it onto the sheet.

Right-click on the spin button, select properties and in 'Linked cell' type in the cell you want to change (e.g. A1). change Small Change to the value you want (or leave it at 1 if you want to add 1 each time). Close the properties window and the control toolbox and away you go :).

Upvote 0
Hi Anakha

Well, there is a couple of ways you could try.
Type 1 in any cell, select that cell and go Edit,Copy. Then select the cell or cells you want to add the 1 to and go Edit,Paste Special and select ADD.

You could also make a macro that runs on the click of a button or by keystrokes to do this. You will need to use this code to add 1 to the value of the cell or cells you select:

For Each cell In Selection
cell.Value = cell.Value + 1
Next
End Sub

To record a macro:
go to Tools, Macro, Record New Macro.
A dialogue box will open where you can name your macro and designate key strokes to run it. From then on every action you take will be recorded in code. Just select cell A1 on your worksheet.
go to Tools, Macro, Stop Recording.
Now use Alt+F11 to go to the VB Editor where you will see your macro code ... should say Range("A1").Select. Replace this line of code with the 3 lines of code above.
Use Alt+F11 to return to the worksheet.

Select a cell or range of cells then use the key strokes you selected and it should work.

One caution with macros, the undo button on your toolbar won't reverse any macro action.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Derek

Upvote 0
Hi,

Great, that has worked perfectly.

Many thanks for the help offered.

Robert Slater.
Frustrated Civil Servant.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back