Changing route directory of links across multiple files

G

I have a number of excel files which are linked to files containing the raw data. I am moving all the files to a new directory. How can I change the route directories on the links without having to go into each file and change the link individually?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
2 options spring immediately to mind

1) make sure all your files are open and then "save as" into their new respective directories (any links will auto-update themselves)

2) on your files that were linked to (say) files in the old "personnel" directory which have now been moved to the new "finance" directory, just edit/replace the word "personnel" with "finance" on all sheets

3) there might be a find/replace command in MS DOS, it's been a while since I used it where you can just replace old text with new text.... long shot though.

Upvote 0
I think you may also be a candidate for the Edit / Links menu item, where you can "change source," although each separate file would need to be updated individually. Find / replace (alt e e)would be my first choice.

mb

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back