Can't change number format

G

I have a column of phone numbers. If I select the column and go to Format Cells / Number and choose the number format under "Special" called "Phone Number", the cells do not change format. If I click in a cell once, THEN do the format change, it takes effect on that cell only. Why? Do I have to click once in ALL these cells to change their format?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Were the phone number imported into excel? I have run in to this problem before, unfortunately I don’t know how to fix it, hopefully someone does

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-13 10:37, Anonymous wrote:
I have a column of phone numbers. If I select the column and go to Format Cells / Number and choose the number format under "Special" called "Phone Number", the cells do not change format. If I click in a cell once, THEN do the format change, it takes effect on that cell only. Why? Do I have to click once in ALL these cells to change their format?

Thanks.

Your values were imported as text values. To convert them to numbers, select them, choose the Data | Text to Columns... menu command, and press [ Finish ].

Upvote 0
Anonymous said:

Thanks.

Hi Mark W.

I was having the same problem I do believe my problem maybe fixed and it could work for you

Step 1 - Highlight the cells that you want as the phone number formula

******Note*****
this is what I want wanted mine to do automatically

(###)###-#### In place of the # symbol I wanted to have my phone numbers well here it goes...

Step 2 - right click and choose format cell(s)

Step 3 - Click on the Number tab, then click on the category SPECIAL and choose PHONE NUMBER

Step 4 - In the Number Tab - click Custom and choose the one that looks
like this
[<=9999999]###-####;(###) ###-####

then click ok button.

Here's the trick I figure out, when in the desinated cell(s) in excel just type the phone number ( none of the brackets or dashes) when you typed the last number put a decimal point at the very end and tell me what you see....

This what I got back

(555)555-5555

Exactly what I was looking for and I did a whole column with steps I told you and in every cell my phone numbers looked right...

A Very happy camper now....

Gemini32

Hope this helps you with you phone number trouble... :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back