Excel won't open

paul_oakley

I have a user who can open a 96mb file no problem but when they try to open 3,500mb file it either won't open or opens then hangs excel. This happens both over the network and when saved to the C-drive. When I tried to open the file on my PC it wouldn't open either. When I look in TaskManager Excel.exe is using all the memory. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi Paul,

are you sure about those file sizes ?

96 meg is massive, the other one is galactic

my biggest is 16 meg and *still* makes me nervous about performance !

Upvote 0
Hi ==

a 96mb file no problem but when they try to open 3,500mb file it either won't open or opens then hangs excel. This happens both over the network and when saved to the C-drive. When I tried to open the file on my PC it wouldn't open either.

I think you mean kb not mb else im gonna retire from excel right now, i know no PC that can support such file sizes not even USA FBI can cope with that one for sure - theres no need or point the data could be split into chnks..

When I look in TaskManager Excel.exe is using all the memory. Any ideas?

Yur on a network that 10/100 max so that file ssize wont run very well and take light years to get across and the network will trash im sure of that. i wipe my forehead.

If you Win 95 or 98 on wstation thats the problem and not excel, the network will be NT4 or novel or poss Win2000 and traffic will be high not transfer rates slow and add Anti virus... nar this post does not add up. No IT dept will allow networks to hold such data for one user 3.5 gigs ????

Ecxel would never load it .. to save would take 6 months

No i have thought hard.. please varify thouse files sizes ...

Windows on a network is dreadful under 95 or 98 my call is close application IE network ones, be careful if you network is (im going to get shot again for this one) set up correctly Excel will be corperate image on the network drive so that will need network connection to allow excel to run, thus slower..

try and get the file on a floppy and run on non network PC , remenber to virus check first as always even thou you think its safe it might not... poss virus... no i dounbt it but never chance it.

--- Hi chris sorry not stepping in just helping..

Speak soon mate...

HTH
Rdgs
==========
Jack PS get some sleep Chris...

Upvote 0
Paul, does this happen even when excel is the only application running? Also have a look at how much disk space you have on c: Perhaps a cleanup is in order.

Regards
George

Upvote 0
Jack

Apologies - more haste less speed. You are correct. The file sizes were 96kb and 3500kb. I don't think it is the file itself because there are other files of a similar size that he is having problems with.

Paul (in the UK)

Upvote 0
Hi Paul

I have been thinking about this one. 4mb is just fine.. all is ok.

try this reboot and open the 3.5MB file see if ok or try open in word... sound silly but we need to bust open the file to see if curupt pr not

To do this open word and the click open and select he excel file if ity open it will be all messed up but open it will be ..
Let me know

Rdgs
==========
Jack

Upvote 0
Paul I don't know if it will help, but could it possibly be that Excel is looking for an alternate startup location? That will cause it to hang on opening occasionally. Something to try is to open Excel then as Excel trys to start hold down the shift key. This will stop Excel from opening any files from the alternate location. Once it loads then release the shift key. If that works then look in optionsgeneral and uncheck the box Alternate startup location, close Excel and see if that fixes it.

Probably a long shot, but I have had that problem on our network here.

Rick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back