My ICT coursework - HELP!!!!!!!!

G

Righ, here goes. For my ICT coursework for college, I have to make a system where I have a league table for my sunday league football (or soccer) team. What I need to do is somehow design a system where I can enter the results and it automatically updates the league table. Does anyone know how I might go about this because my teacher's a muppet and I dont get any help from him. :(

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I've seen this question more than once. If you use the search feature on this page and enter 'league as the keyword you might be able to find your answer there.

Upvote 0
Hi

Sounds like you want to gwet someone to do all the work to me if thats the case directly post ANY FOOTBALL LEAGUES avalible and leave email ULD ill email at least 3 i have even FULL world cup.

That will get an A in any exam, but i have no education and suffer as a result so offer you full support to help.

explain exactly what you want,

IE one division, number of teams and so on...

than i can help....

Upvote 0
Ive got the league table I'm doin I just need to work out how to get it to update itself if I type the results in. Is it possible to do that on Excel?

Upvote 0
Anon,

yes, this is possible, I've done it with the current Premiership and Div 2 footie leagues

In a nutshell, points are awarded if team scores more goals than team b and shared if they are equal. This forms the basis of the league ranking, defaulting to goal difference if their points are equal, so you'd need to factor in goals scored and goals conceded.

if you put these scores in seperate cells, you can use this as a basis for allocating points and goal difference.

try thinking about having all yoru teams down one axis and along another axis (say 10 x 10)

this leaves you with 100 cells, or 100 matches, less the 10 where each team can't play themselves - you'll end up with a grid of home and away ties into which you can slot your scores.

You can then interrogate these 100 slots with =if functions to gets goals scored, goals conceded and points earned

then you can sum them for each team and consolidate this info in a summary.

However, as leagues generally look better with the best team at the top and Celtic at the bott, ooops, I mean the worst team at the bottom, you need to sort this info by points and goal difference.

Research the =RANK function which will achieve this objective without the need for any manual sorting or macros for sorting

key functions would be :

=IF
=RANK
=VLOOKUP

and a lot of trial and error.

However, having done the trial and error a few times now, I can guarentee you can produce an automatically-updating league table, sorted top to bottom, in a single sheet with just those 3 formulae and the usual favourites like + / - / x

Have a think - if you really can't figure anything out and Jack doesn't send you a premiership league table, give me a shout and I'll send it to you to let you see the mechanics of it

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back