Excel - VLOOKUP question

ffonseca

I'm trying to match the information on columsn A & B with columns E & F, then retrive the information on column C, and populate next to the names on clumns A and B. See the screen shot below. I'm using a VLOOKUP formula but I keep getting the error # message. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Copy of New List.xls
ABCDEFG
1firstnamelastnamespendingcodefirstnamelastnamelimitcode
2AdrienneGanttJAdrienneGantt#VALUE!
3AixaNievesLAlanDorhoffer
current users

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
G2:

=INDEX($C$2:$C$3,MATCH(1,IF($A$2:$A$3=E2,IF($B$2:$B$3=F2,1)),0))

which needs to be confirmed with control+shift+enter (not just with enter) then copied down.

Upvote 0
Your screen shot did not come through. About all I can make out is this:
VLOOKUP($E$2:$F$2,$A$2:$C$2,3,FALSE)

There is definitely a problem. You can only lookup off of one cell so the first part $E$2:$F$2 will not work. What you need to do is add a column that concatenates your values into one thing to lookup. Insert a column before A (I'll call it aa for my example to still be able to refer to your existing columns). Then change your formula like so:

=vlookup(e2&F2,aa2:c2,4,false)

Upvote 0
Aladin,
When I copied down the suggested formula I get the following error #N/A. My list has about 800 rows. Any suggestions? Thanks is advance.

Upvote 0
Aladin,
When I copied down the suggested formula I get the following error #N/A. My list has about 800 rows. Any suggestions? Thanks is advance.

When there is no match, the result will be #N/A. Are you asking how to suppress such results?

Upvote 0
Actually the entire column is returning with the error, and I know that there is more than one match. I thought I would be able to copy down and the formula would adjust to the next entry.

Upvote 0
Actually the entire column is returning with the error, and I know that there is more than one match. I thought I would be able to copy down and the formula would adjust to the next entry.

The first formula entry needs to be confirmed with control+shift+enter. After this action, you should see { and } enclosing the formula. If that's the case, you can simply drag down the formula for the other lookup values.

If you still get #N/A when you shouldn't, then you probably have stray spaces around etries. You can remove them by running the free ASAP Utilities from asap-utilities.com.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back