Setting up NCAA Pool in Excel?

G

Disclaimer: In posting this message I am in no way condoning the use of NCAA Pools, as I know that they are illegal. Yep.

Hypothetically, then, if I were in an NCAA pool and trying to figure out how best to score the entries rather than going through each individual person's bracket every time a round completes to sum their score, do any of you know of a way to get Excel to do this for me? Lots of If-Then statements that I don't know how to use, but I imagine it can be done.

I was thinking something along the lines of: type in the entire bracket on sheet one, type in everyone's round one picks on sheet two, everyone's round two picks on sheet three, and so on, and then have a tab with everyone's score, which is linked directly to their bracket. This score would be automatically calculated at the end of every round as I type in the winners of each game. That would save a TON of work for me.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ro

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Also, I forgot to add that, in this hypothetical world, we would give double points if a person were to pick an upset victory (just based on seeds, not Vegas lines, so if the team with the lower seed wins, that counts for 2x the points).

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-13 14:54, Anonymous wrote:
Disclaimer: In posting this message I am in no way condoning the use of NCAA Pools, as I know that they are illegal. Yep.

Sure, in the same way that I don't condone going to lunch tomorrow in our building's restaurant, spending $8 for the buffet and then sitting for 3 hours watching NCAA basketball that I'm not interested whilst stuffing chicken wings into my fat face.

Actually, there may be someone here's that's got something. Also, and this is quite sad, there are quite a few "March Madness" utilities on the internet. I highly recommend searching for them. Although a pool spreadsheet named "Budget.xls" is far more enticing than having shortcuts all over your machine that say stuff like "NCAA Pool Manager Software v4.0".

Upvote 0
Yeah, but I think they all cost money. I don't imagine it can take too long to set a really crappy one up in Excel, which is why I don't really care to lay out the $20.

Upvote 0
Let me know what you come up with or find. I am in the same boat, hypothetically, of course.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back