Fraction - smallest common denominator NOT wanted

mbarthel

Hello all,
I work with teachers, and some want to add fractions in Excel. While we understand how to format the cell to show a fraction, or fractions that are all halves, fourths, etc., is there anyway to get Excel to leave the fraction unchanged when entered? In other words, to NOT have the fraction change from 4/8 to 1/2 automatically, and without having to format individual cells. Teachers can work with many different denominators in one formula.

Any help would be appreciated. This one has me stumped!!!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
On 2002-03-13 15:11, mbarthel wrote:
Hello all,
I work with teachers, and some want to add fractions in Excel. While we understand how to format the cell to show a fraction, or fractions that are all halves, fourths, etc., is there anyway to get Excel to leave the fraction unchanged when entered? In other words, to NOT have the fraction change from 4/8 to 1/2 automatically, and without having to format individual cells. Teachers can work with many different denominators in one formula.

Any help would be appreciated. This one has me stumped!!!

Did you try custom formatting, e.g.,

# ??/??

Aladin

Upvote 0
I'm afraid there isn't a "pretty" solution to this problem, but consider this...

1. Format column A:A with a Text number format and right horizontal alignment.
2. Enter 4/16, 3/9, 2/4 into cells A1:A3.
3. To sum these fractions use the array formula, {=SUM(VALUE("0 "&A1:A3))}.

Note: Array formulas must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-03-13 15:54

Upvote 0
Hi Mark:
It is an interesting approach -- formatting the fractinal numbers as text to maintain the numerator and denominator exactly as entered, and then evaluating the sum of the fractional numbers using the VALUE function and the array formula -- but the use of "0" in the array formula to ensure that the fractional numbers less than 1 will be properly accounted for does not happen here -- 0 (zero) is being added to the mistaken fraction as a date, and its corresponding sequential number. So writing the fractions in your example as 0 4/16, 0 3/9, and 0 2/4 does do the trick -- thus using the array formula ... sum(value(A1:A3))will give the right result!

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-13 16:21, Yogi Anand wrote:
Hi Mark:
It is an interesting approach -- formatting the fractinal numbers as text to maintain the numerator and denominator exactly as entered, and then evaluating the sum of the fractional numbers using the VALUE function and the array formula -- but the use of "0" in the array formula to ensure that the fractional numbers less than 1 will be properly accounted for does not happen here -- 0 (zero) is being added to the mistaken fraction as a date, and its corresponding sequential number. So writing the fractions in your example as 0 4/16, 0 3/9, and 0 2/4 does do the trick -- thus using the array formula ... sum(value(A1:A3))will give the right result!

My array formula, {=SUM(VALUE("0 "&A1:A3))}, works fine. Perhaps, you failed to enter the essential space character after the 0 in the text string, "0 ".

Upvote 0
THANKS MARK!
You are RIGHT! ... I did happen to miss that essential space as in "0 " in the array formula. My apologies, I should have made sure that for 4/16 to be taken as a fraction, I had to ensure that it was read as 0 4/16, and not 04/16. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back