Random Number Generator

InfoRN

I have a list of providers with the following data:
lname,fname,mi,cat,specialty

I need to generate a random list of providers so that I can audit 25% of them.
AND ensure that each specialty is represented properly. (If 1/2 are ER docs then half of the 25% should be ER).

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob Shea, RN

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
On 2002-03-13 17:03, InfoRN wrote:
I have a list of providers with the following data:
lname,fname,mi,cat,specialty

I need to generate a random list of providers so that I can audit 25% of them.
AND ensure that each specialty is represented properly. (If 1/2 are ER docs then half of the 25% should be ER).

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob Shea, RN

Check the RAND and RANDBETWEEN functions in Help.

One thing: after you use either of these, I suggest that you copy the random numbers and then Paste Special - Values. Otherwise you get new random numbers each time the worksheet calculates.

Hope this helps,

Russell

Upvote 0
You can use an Advanced AutoFilter to select your records based on a Criteria range. Suppose that you have the following data in cells A1:A21...

{"Specialty";"B";"B";"A";"D";"C";"A";"C";"B";"B";"D";"A";"A";"A";"A";"A";"A";"C";"B";"C";"B"}

There are 8 A's, 6 B's, and 4 C's in this data set. Let's say that you want to produce a 50% random sample of these Specialty codes that's proportional to their occurrence. First, setup a criteria range in C1:D4. C1:C4 should contain {"Specialty";"A";"B";"C"}. D2:D4 should contain the formula, =RAND()<=0.5. After selecting cells A1:A21 and choosing the Data | Filter | Advanced Filter... menu command, enter the Criteria Range, C1:D4, and press [ OK ].

The displayed records are a random sample that's proportional to the original occurrence of Specialty codes. Please note that this is a TRUE random sample -- like flipping a coin. We all know that with enought trials you'll get Heads 50% of the time. So with repeated trials of this sampling technique the average results will be 4 A's, 3 B's, and 2 C's.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-03-14 09:36

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back