Center a graphic in an excel cell

ChrisCana

I am working on a product comparison matrix with features in a column and the column next to it will have check marks - I am using imported .jpgs for the check marks, but I can not get them to center in a cell. They don't align like text.

Is there any way, code or otherwise, to get a graphic to center in a cell?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
If you're not tied to using a .jpg, then you can do the following:
Format the cell's font as Webdings and then enter a lower case "a" (without the quotes). This will return a check mark.

If you do need to use a .jpg so that you can assign a macro to it, then just click on the object after it is inserted and click-drag the handles to resize it and center it in the cell.

P.S. Right-click on the object, choose Format Picture>Properties and tick the Move and size with cells option.

Upvote 0
I would rather use the .jpg, and I cant drag the handles to resize it to the cell because each cell is a different size. So, I need to keep the .jpg at it imported size, and then center that jpg to the cell it is in. I will need to do this across multiple cells.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's possible to automatically center an object within a cell in the same manner that you can center text or values horizontally and vertically. Perhaps someone else can help.

Upvote 0
Recently, I too was searching in vain for a method whereby a given object could be centered within a given cell. After happening upon this thread and then reading the last post, “I'm not sure if it's possible to automatically center an object within a cell…”, I must confess I grew ever-more dubious that a solution would be found. But the post continued, “…Perhaps someone else can help?” Well, I’m now happy to report that I AM that someone and it IS indeed possible to center an object within a cell. And although I frequent this invaluable board routinely, I have not contributed until today (at the urging of a colleague). The solution is as follows:
Code:
Sub CenterObjectInActiveCell()
    Dim X As Integer
    Dim Y As Integer
    X = ActiveCell.Left + (ActiveCell.Width / 2) - (ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).Width / 2)
    Y = ActiveCell.Top + (ActiveCell.Height / 2) - (ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).Height / 2)
    With ActiveSheet.Shapes(1)
        .Left = X
        .Top = Y
    End With
End Sub
Required: Paste the above procedure into a module for the active workbook, create at least one object within the active worksheet, and assign to it the above procedure.

Notes: The above procedure centers the object within the active cell, but it could easily be adapted to work on a particular cell.

Upvote 0
i know it's been a few years, but because i can't easily find a better answer, i created this one that works --- if the image top left is anywhere in the active cell, then it'll get moved to the middle of that active cell:

Code:
Const inDebug As Boolean = False

Sub CenterPictureIfInActiveCell()

'If the Top-Left corner of any Picture is located within the Active Cell
'Then center the picture within the Active Cell

Dim Pic As Picture

For Each Pic In ActiveSheet.Pictures

If inDebug Then MsgBox Pic.Name

If isInBetween(ActiveCell.Left - 1, ActiveCell.Left + ActiveCell.Width, Pic.Left) And _
           isInBetween(ActiveCell.Top - 1, ActiveCell.Top + ActiveCell.Height, Pic.Top) _
           Then
                Pic.Left = ActiveCell.Left + ((ActiveCell.Width - Pic.Width) / 2)
                Pic.Top = ActiveCell.Top + ((ActiveCell.Height - Pic.Height) / 2)
        End If

Next Pic

End Sub

Function isInBetween(lowVal As Long, hiVal As Long, targetVal As Long, Optional Inclusive As Boolean = True) As Boolean

'Return TRUE if the targetVal is between the lowVal and hiVal (Inclusive optional)

isInBetween = False

If Inclusive Then

Select Case targetVal
            Case Is < lowVal
            Case Is > hiVal
            Case Else
                isInBetween = True
        End Select

If inDebug Then MsgBox "Testing if " & lowVal & " <= " & targetVal & " <= " & hiVal & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Result = " & isInBetween

Else

Select Case targetVal
            Case Is <= lowVal
            Case Is >= hiVal
            Case Else
                isInBetween = True
        End Select

If inDebug Then MsgBox "Testing if " & lowVal & " < " & targetVal & " < " & hiVal & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Result = " & isInBetween

End If

End Function

Upvote 0
i know it's been a few years, but because i can't easily find a better answer, i created this one that works --- if the image top left is anywhere in the active cell, then it'll get moved to the middle of that active cell:

Code:

Dim Pic As Picture

If isInBetween(ActiveCell.Left - 1, ActiveCell.Left + ActiveCell.Width, Pic.Left) And _
           Then
        End If

Next Pic

End Sub

Function isInBetween(lowVal As Long, hiVal As Long, targetVal As Long, Optional Inclusive As Boolean = True) As Boolean

'Return TRUE if the targetVal is between the lowVal and hiVal (Inclusive optional)

isInBetween = False

If Inclusive Then

Select Case targetVal
            Case Is < lowVal
            Case Is > hiVal
            Case Else
                isInBetween = True
        End Select

If inDebug Then MsgBox "Testing if " & lowVal & " <= " & targetVal & " <= " & hiVal & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Result = " & isInBetween

Else

Select Case targetVal
            Case Is <= lowVal
            Case Is >= hiVal
            Case Else
                isInBetween = True
        End Select

If inDebug Then MsgBox "Testing if " & lowVal & " < " & targetVal & " < " & hiVal & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Result = " & isInBetween

End If

End Function
This worked great! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Code:

Dim Pic As Picture

Then
        End If

Next Pic

End Sub

isInBetween = False

If Inclusive Then

Select Case targetVal
            Case Is < lowVal
            Case Is > hiVal
            Case Else
                isInBetween = True
        End Select

Else

Select Case targetVal
            Case Is <= lowVal
            Case Is >= hiVal
            Case Else
                isInBetween = True
        End Select

End If

End Function
Even now, on 2022 - thank You

Upvote 0

Code:

Dim Pic As Picture

Then
        End If

Next Pic

End Sub

isInBetween = False

If Inclusive Then

Select Case targetVal
            Case Is < lowVal
            Case Is > hiVal
            Case Else
                isInBetween = True
        End Select

Else

Select Case targetVal
            Case Is <= lowVal
            Case Is >= hiVal
            Case Else
                isInBetween = True
        End Select

End If

End Function
Could this be modified to do Vertical OR Horizontal OR Both. Like with a message box that allows you to check mark a box for Vertical, Horizontal.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back