Put the degree symbol on axes

thankont

Hello. I would like to insert the degree symbol on numbers either on the x or y axis (for trigonometric applications) so for example 90 should read 90o
Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Assuming that the data is in sheet 1...

Just ensure that you have inserted degree sign next to the number which is serving the purpose of axis label...

For instance... lets say A1 is having 90.. place cursor after '0' of 90 and click insert from toolbar and click symbol... choose Symbol PS... and you should see the degree sign over there

Upvote 0
Select the axis, right-click to pick Format, and go to the Number tab.

Select Custom. In the dialog at the top, type 0 and then, holding down the ALT key, type 0176 on the keypad.

Denis

Upvote 0
Degrees on axis

Thanks for your replies but on Excel 2000 degrees don't show on the axis. Suppose I want to graph the sine function and on the x-axis I want degrees. I want the degree symbol to be on the graph of the x-axis and not just the number itself. I tried 0 with ALT0176 in custom format but that seems not to be working.
Thanks...

Upvote 0
Using Excel 2000, I've done this by saving an "AutoCorrect" entry in Microsoft Word (yep...Word), which is then accessed by Excel to make it the way I want it. In Word, I inserted the degree symbol followed by upper case C, then highlighted it, selected Tools, AutoCorrect, then entered "degc" in the "Replace" text box. Click OK, be sure to save Normal.dot when you exit Word. You may have to re-open Excel for it to recognize the new auto-correct entry. Once you do that, if the chart already has an axis that you want to label with oC, just edit the axis label, entering degc followed by a space, and you'll have your oC. If it doesn't already have an axis label, add one using chart options (the auto-correct won't work in the dialog box), then edit it as above.
Hope this helps,
Cindy
Edit...I just re-read your post, and this won't really do what you want...you want the degree symbol on the number, not just on the axis label, and as-described, it would give you degrees C, not just the degrees symbol (although it could be changed to do that). Hope you find a working solution.

Upvote 0
Woohoo...I found a solution!!
In Word (or some other program that allows copy/paste of symbols), enter a degrees symbol, then copy it to the clipboard.
In Excel, highlight the axis of interest, right-click, and choose the Number tab. Select "Custom" format, and in the text box, enter # "º" , using Ctrl-v to insert the degrees symbol between the quotes. Click OK, and your axis will have numbers followed by the º symbol.

Upvote 0
Woohoo...I found a solution!!
In Word (or some other program that allows copy/paste of symbols), enter a degrees symbol, then copy it to the clipboard.
In Excel, highlight the axis of interest, right-click, and choose the Number tab. Select "Custom" format, and in the text box, enter # "º" , using Ctrl-v to insert the degrees symbol between the quotes. Click OK, and your axis will have numbers followed by the º symbol.

Denis' solution (the third post in this thread) does the same as yours, only easier. The quotes are unnecessary, too.

Upvote 0
You're so right about the quotes...but with or without quotes, Denis' solution doesn't work in my installation of Excel 2000. Since I don't have access to a more recent version of Excel (being in a controlled corporate environment :confused: ) my assumption was that it was a version-thing. Maybe there's some other problem or issue preventing the more straightforward solution to work?
Anyway, I'm glad this is a forum with lots of eyeballs checking out not only questions, but solutions, as well. I learn something new every day!
--Cindy

Upvote 0
It shouldn't be a version thing; I've been doing this since before leaving my former employer's regressive, I mean controlled, corporate environment, where we only had Excel 97.

The trick to getting the degree symbol is to hold the alt key down, enter 0146 on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key.

The thing about solutions is that there are many, and one may fit a particular situation better than another. Or sometimes a minor tweak is all that prevents an okay approach from being a great one. So as long as people accept suggestions in the spirit in which they are offered, we can all learn a thing or three.

Upvote 0
After re-reading your answer several times, I figured out what I was missing. I use a laptop, where the numeric "keypad" is superimposed over the text keyboard, activated by numlock. It never quite sunk in that that's what I needed to do to make it work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back