How To Decrease Excel File Size And Increase Speed

mtp9302

Hi,

I am having an interesting problem with an Excel spreadsheet (I'm running Excel 2002) that contains quite a bit of Visual Basic Code. My file size, until recently, was at 2.73 MB. I added several subroutines which were responsible for doing the following:

- Copies an existing workbook sheet.

- Edits the text on several buttons and text boxes.

- Inserts a formula (using the Range().Formula command) into six different cells and drags the formula down through the next 24 cells.

This can be done twice on each of two different worksheets such that the existing sheet is copied and modifed to make two derivative sheets (four derivative sheets total). The creation of each of the two derivative sheets is initiated by a button. A subroutine of each of the two sheet derivatives is included below:

Code:
Sub CreatePanel2()
'
' CreatePanel2 Macro
    If Sheets(4).Name = "Panel (2)" Then                 'Checks To See If Panel (2) Already Exists
        MsgBox "'Panel (2)' already exists. To create a third panels sheet, use the button on 'Panel (2)'", vbInformation
        Exit Sub
    End If

Sheets("Panel").Select
    Sheets("Panel").Copy Before:=Sheets(4)
    Sheets("Prices").Select
    Range("F5").Formula = "='Panel (2)'!AP8"
    Range("H5").Formula = "='Panel (2)'!AQ8"
    Sheets("Panel (2)").Select

ActiveSheet.Shapes("Button 7").Select                'Configure "Create Panel (3)" Button
    Selection.OnAction = "CreatePanel3"
    Selection.Characters.Text = "Create Panel (3)"

ActiveSheet.Shapes("Text Box 23").Select             'Text Box For "Create Panel (3)" Button
    Selection.Characters.Text = _
        "Use this button to create an additional panels sheet. " & Chr(10) & "The new sheet corresponds to the part number Paneltotal3."
    With Selection.Characters(Start:=100, Length:=12).Font
        .FontStyle = "Bold"
    End With

ActiveSheet.Shapes("Button 6").Select                   'Configure "Create RFQ2" Button
    Selection.OnAction = "CreateRFQ2"
    Selection.Characters.Text = "Create RFQ (2)"

ActiveSheet.Shapes("Text Box 24").Select                'Text Box For "Create RFQ2" Button
        "Use this button to create a request for quote sheet to fax to an outside panel material vendor. The sheet RFQ (2) will correlate to the above items."
    With Selection.Characters(Start:=107, Length:=7).Font
        .FontStyle = "Bold"
    End With

ActiveSheet.Shapes("Text Box 25").Select                        'Notice Text Box
        "If you want to create a third panel sheet, be sure to create it before entering any items above. "
    Selection.ShapeRange.ScaleHeight 0.66, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft

ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=-39
    Range("B19").Select

End Sub

Code:
Sub CreateRFQ2()

' CreateRFQ2 Macro

Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In Worksheets                         'Check to see if RFQ (2) exists.
        If ws.Name = "RFQ (2)" Then
            MsgBox "RFQ (2) has already been created.", vbInformation
            Exit Sub
        End If
    Next

If Sheets("RFQ").Visible = False Then
        Sheets("RFQ").Visible = True
    End If

Sheets("RFQ").Select
    Sheets("RFQ").Copy Before:=Sheets("RFQ")          'Copy sheet "RFQ'

With ActiveSheet
        .Move After:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)
    End With

Range("C7:H7").Formula = "=RFQmaterial('Panel (2)'!$AV$17,'Panel (2)'!$AS$27)"      'Insert proper
    Range("A12:A36").Formula = "= IF('Panel (2)'!B16>0,'Panel (2)'!A16,"""")"           'formulas into
    Range("B12:B36").Formula = "='Panel (2)'!G16"                                       'sheet.
    Range("C12:C36").Formula = "='Panel (2)'!D16"
    Range("D12:D36").Formula = "='Panel (2)'!E16"
    Range("E12:E36").Formula = "='Panel (2)'!F16"
    Range("F12:F36").Formula = "=IF('Panel (2)'!D16>0,FLOOR(C12/(25.4),1/16),"""")"
    Range("H12:H36").Formula = "=IF('Panel (2)'!F16>0,FLOOR(E12/(25.4),1/16),"""")"
    Range("I12:I36").Formula = "='Panel (2)'!L16"

Range("A12").Select

End Sub

Everything works great. My problem is that my file size has increased from 2.74 MB to 8.00 MB. We cannot send out email attachments bigger than 6 MB, so I have to find a way to decrease this. I have VBA Code Cleaner 4.4 downloaded, but this did not help. I have heard of strange increases in file size associated with modifying VB code before, but I could always run the code cleaner and reduce the file size to near (not exactly) original. I also have the VB subroutine 'ExcelDiet', which strips the spreadsheet of unused cells to decrease file size. This, also, did not change the file size. I have tried to research this problem online (that's how I found VBA Code Cleaner and ExcelDiet), but I have not had any significant improvements.

In addition, my spreadsheet is also running extremely slow (literally takes 3-5 seconds to calculate cells after I input data and press Enter).

I am wondering if anyone has ever run into this kind of thing or has knowledge of the behavior of Visual Basic which would help me reduce my file size and increase my speed. I was under the impression that the four added subroutines of the two above varieties should not increase the file size by over 5 MB. Have I coded this inefficiently? Is there any advantage to coding formulas in Excel's spreadsheet vs Visual Basic or vice versa? Any ideas as far as good practices to achieve both of these ends (speed and file size) or common fixes would be very helpful. Any information you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Matt

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi i don't know about the increase in file size but i notice you haven't stopped the screen updating in your subs. i know there're not vary long pieces of code but that might help speed them up.

sub A()

application.ScreenUpdating = False

'' your code here

Application.screenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back