Stopping Excel from tracking "changes"

Rapp Scallion

At my job one of our employees has published an Excel worksheet on our intranet where it can be viewed as an embedded object within Internet Explorer. The sheet is a simple enough affair: some data, some hyperlinks that lead to various cells within the same worksheet and an autofilter to sort the data. The problem is that whenever someone uses the autofilter-function Excel (or IE) will regard that as a change to the worksheet and the next time the user clicks a hyperlink she or he is prompted about saving the file. As you might imagine that gets very annoying very quickly. I've tried protecting the worksheet but that disable the functionality of the Autofilter tabs, which is not an option. Is there some way of stopping Excel from tracking changes to the worksheet so it will stop pestering users about saving "unsaved" changes?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Perhaps I don't fully understand your situation, but have you unchecked the "Track changes when editing..." check box found by using the Tools | Track Changes | Highlight Changes... menu command?

Upvote 0
I'm afraid you misunderstand me, perhaps my description of the problem wasn't sufficient. I'm afraid English is not my native language.

What I mean with "changes" is when the workbook is altered in such a way that Excel asks if you want to save it. Imagine creating a new workbook and entering some simple data and then clicking the Close button. Excel will prompt you if you want to save the changes to the workbook.

My problem is that whenever someone uses the Autoformat funktion Excel will regard that as a change to the workbook and when the user clicks a hyperlink within the same document he/she will be prompted to save the document. Very annoying. I can protect the document but that will also turn off the Autofilter function (which must remain active).

My questions in short: Is there a way to stop Excel from prompting the user about saving the document when he/she uses the document from within Internet Explorer?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back