Weired Sorting

AllenL

Board Regular
I have several spreadsheets which contain similar data/format. However, when I was sorting the spreadsheet by clicking the sort button. Some of the spreadsheets don't sort the headers, but some include the headers when sort.
How can I make them sort the same way?
Is there some kind of hidden format that does this kind of trick?
Please help

In my spreadsheet, I have two rows of headers. The first row is the title and the second row is the actual headers of the data. The headers are all text and the data contains text/number and mixture.
I have the header row clicked. However, it only separate the first row(the row with title), it doesn't separate the second row(the row with actual headers for the data)
I think the solution is to have the cells(with the actual headers for the data) named because that's what the "Working" spreadsheets have. But I don't know how
Please help
Thank you

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Maybe this will work:

select what you want to sort except for the title, which you say is the first row.

Then, go to Data/Sort and make sure header row is selected. This may let you use what is in the second row as the column headings.

Just an idea, though. May not work...
This message was edited by Von Pookie on 2002-03-15 10:46

Upvote 0
I only select the first Data cell of the column that I want to sort by. However, the whole spreadsheet gets selected after I click Data->sort. Then it deselect the first row(title) after I click header row radio button but not the second row.
I did a lot of tests like copy/paste the headers from the "Working" spreadsheet, format the headers, label the rows/columns and non of them work
very frustrated
Any more ideas?
Thanks guys

Upvote 0
Here we go, this is my last response:
Select all the data including the headers(but not the title) and click Data|Sort. Make sure under "My list has" that "Header row" is marked. Then under "Sort by" select the header that contains the data to sort by. Then mark "Ascending" or "Descending" depending on which is appropriate. Click OK and that should work.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards, Al.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back