Increment Letters (A+1 = B)

G

How do i increment the letters?
I want to be able to select cells A1, then B2, then C3 etc.
I can easily increment the rows, how do i increment columns?? thks

@ukmikeb, bosco_yip, István Hirsch,

Are you all replying to the question asked in Message #15? As I read that question, the OP does not want AA, AB, etc. to follow Z; rather he wants ZA, ZB, etc. to follow it (and then ZZA, ZZB, etc. to follow ZZ, and so on).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
@ukmikeb, bosco_yip, István Hirsch,

Are you all replying to the question asked in Message #15? As I read that question, the OP does not want AA, AB, etc. to follow Z; rather he wants ZA, ZB, etc. to follow it (and then ZZA, ZZB, etc. to follow ZZ, and so on).

Rick

In post #16 I realized the error that I had made in post #15 and satisfied the intermediate requirement.

At that point I was pondering the final requirement which you have answered so economically.

Upvote 0
How about this...

If I have a number like 11111-111-111ZA in cell A1, I want to drag the fill handle so cell A2 says 11111-111-111ZB. Then cell A3 says 11111-111-111ZC ect...

I tried to mess with the formula below but couldn't make it happen:

=IF(RIGHT($a1,1)="Z", CHAR(CODE(LEFT(a1,1))+1),LEFT(a1,1))&CHAR(65+MOD(CODE(RIGHT(a1,1))+1-65,26))

Thank you!

Upvote 0
How about this...

If I have a number like 11111-111-111ZA in cell A1, I want to drag the fill handle so cell A2 says 11111-111-111ZB. Then cell A3 says 11111-111-111ZC ect...
What should happen when you reach 11111-111-111ZZ and you drag it down one more time?

Upvote 0
Hi there.

Thanks for the response.

It really doesn’t matter as long as I can get to ZZ. So I just need to go ZA to ZZ and then stop.

Also, the characters will be more like 31222-YYY-Z10ZA - ZZ. Just wanted to mention it would be a mix of numbers and letters.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
It really doesn’t matter as long as I can get to ZZ. So I just need to go ZA to ZZ and then stop.

Also, the characters will be more like 31222-YYY-Z10ZA - ZZ. Just wanted to mention it would be a mix of numbers and letters.
It is important to know the actual shape of your data (you should never simplify it for us). Is...

31222-YYY-Z10ZA - ZZ

the actual shape (with the space/dash/space before the last two characters)?

Upvote 0
No, sorry. It will look like this:

31222-YYY-Z10ZA
I think this formula will do what you want...

=IFERROR(IF(RIGHT(A1,2)<"ZZ",LEFT(A1,13)&LEFT(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(INDIRECT(RIGHT(A1,2)&1))+1,4),2),""),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back