Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Taking the last value entered in a column and showing it els

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

I trying to create a sheet that will take a set of variable data and extract various information from it.

I have worked out how to get the largest and smallest value from the data =LARGE(A1:A150,1) and =SMALL(A1:A150,1) aswell as the average.

Yet what I can't seem to do is work out is how to take the last value entered into the data and display it elsewhere.

For example, using columns.

Day Data
    1 2
    2 4
    3 9
    4 4
    5 1

I would like to take the value for day 5 and use it elsewhere but when I enter day 6's data, I would like this then to replace day 5 and so on with each new day's data.

I looked through the function helps files in Excel XP but could not find any help there.

I enter the data onto one work sheet but display the calc's on another sheet and that is where I would like the last entered data value shown.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-16 07:38, GETanner wrote:
    Hi there,

I trying to create a sheet that will take a set of variable data and extract various information from it.

I have worked out how to get the largest and smallest value from the data =LARGE(A1:A150,1) and =SMALL(A1:A150,1) aswell as the average.

Yet what I can't seem to do is work out is how to take the last value entered into the data and display it elsewhere.

Day Data
    1 2
    2 4
    3 9
    4 4
    5 1

I would like to take the value for day 5 and use it elsewhere but when I enter day 6's data, I would like this then to replace day 5 and so on with each new day's data.

I looked through the function helps files in Excel XP but could not find any help there.

I enter the data onto one work sheet but display the calc's on another sheet and that is where I would like the last entered data value shown.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Guy
    Guy,

Lets say that your data are in columns A and B from row 2 on and you want to display in C2 the last value entered in column B.

=OFFSET($B$2,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,B:B)-ROW(2:2),0,1,1)

will retrieve the desired value.

Aladin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy - this is Bill Jelen at MrExcel. Can you go into your profile and change your e-mail address? Somehow the . before the @ is causing everything to be sent to MrExcel.com

Thanks - and welcome to the board!

Bill
    View a collection of recent Excel articles in the Excel Daily News

Rest in Peace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Guy

You would be best to create a dymamic range of your data then use:

=INDEX(MyRange,ROWS(MyRange))

To see about dynamic ranges I have many examples here: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges.htm

Or if you do not use a dynamic range you can use:
    =INDEX(A1:A10000,MATCH(-9E+306,A1:A10000,-1))

Either way, I would avoid using entire columns in formulae as it is bad practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-16 09:12, MrExcel wrote:
    Guy - this is Bill Jelen at MrExcel. Can you go into your profile and change your e-mail address? Somehow the . before the @ is causing everything to be sent to MrExcel.com

Thanks - and welcome to the board!

Bill
    Sorry about that, consider it changed. First time I've ever come across that problem.

Hope it did not cause too much trouble.

Guy

[ This Message was edited by: GETanner on 2002-03-16 18:39 ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-16 07:57, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
    On 2002-03-16 07:38, GETanner wrote:
    Hi there,

Day Data
    1 2
    2 4
    3 9
    4 4
    5 1

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Guy
    Guy,

Lets say that your data are in columns A and B from row 2 on and you want to display in C2 the last value entered in column B.

=OFFSET($B$2,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,B:B)-ROW(2:2),0,1,1)

will retrieve the desired value.

Aladin
    Thank you very much indeed.

It worked a treat. It did exactly what I needed it to do.

I can now sit down with a cup of tea and try and work out how it worked.

Best regards,

Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-16 13:33, Dave Hawley wrote:
    Hi Guy

You would be best to create a dymamic range of your data then use:

=INDEX(MyRange,ROWS(MyRange))

To see about dynamic ranges I have many examples here: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges.htm

Or if you do not use a dynamic range you can use:
    =INDEX(A1:A10000,MATCH(-9E+306,A1:A10000,-1))

Either way, I would avoid using entire columns in formulae as it is bad practice.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I've not come across the use of dynamic ranges before, so your tip will take me a little more time to apply though I will sit down and have a good go at learning this new topic.

The answer before yours worked for my current needs but on quick inspection for that link you suggested, I do think my sheet will benefit from using Dynamic Ranges.

Time to creat another sheet.

Thanks again,

Guy

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others