Data Validation

Brian from Maui

MrExcel MVP
Aloha,

Is it possible to set a data validtion where that cell has the sum of other cells. I've tried using custom and using the formula to sum cells and greater than, but evertime test it with a value greater than what I want, I get no warning prompt.

:confused:

Brian

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
a1, a2, a3, a4 and a5 has data and b1 is the validation cell.

On B1 Tools_Validation
Select Custom
Formula : >SUM(A1:A5)

and your message etc...

regards
suat
This message was edited by smozgur on 2002-03-16 17:20

Upvote 0
Hi Brian

Dont see why not!! Ill have a play now 2AM London... a bit later should work out fine...
Set the validation to cell X i guess cell X will be formula so on calculatuin the warning will appear, ckeck all set up ok..

Take care friend.

Upvote 0
What I want is to set the validation cell of the sum of the cells to say >1800, however the sums may not always excedd 1800.

Brian

Upvote 0
Dave,

A1 is the sum of say B1:B3. It may not always total 1800, but if it does, I'd like than warning to come out!

Brian

Upvote 0
Ok I see, you want the cell containing the SUM function to display a warning if it's value is less than 1800! Cannot be done with Data Validation, sorry. Use this code in the Private Module of the Sheet Object

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If WorksheetFunction.Sum(Range("A1")) <> 1800 Then
MsgBox "Invalid value", vbCritical
Target.Select
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Dave,

Thanks for the code. I really am new to Excel and the users who will be using this workbook are too. I have a conditional format in the adjacent cell that say wt exceeded. For now until I'll use he conditional formatting one. Mahalo for your time, I've spent the better part of two hours trying to figure thsi one out.

Brian

Upvote 0
Brian

That's ok. The user would have to do anything though. You just pop in the code and it's done!

But having said this, how about this alternative.

Instead of validating the SUM cell (A1) how about validating the cells the SUM function is refencing with something like:

=SUM($A$1)>1800

Set the Error altert to something other than high so they can still enter a number that may cause A1 to return a value less than 1800. Just in case they need to enter another number that WILL cause it to SUM greater than 1800

Upvote 0
Dave,

I've tried the code you gave me. I like it!
My first time with something like this. I wold like to expand his to other cells. Do I just copy this again for each cell?

Brian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back