The Square Root Symbol

Kenny Jamieson

Is it possible to have a customised toolbar contaning the Square Root Synbol (to represent a tick) or is there a short cut to enter this symbol into a cell without having to go via Insert / Symbol ??

Cheers.

Kenny. :LOL:

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
if wingdings2 font isnt installed the charachter code for a tick using standard wingdings is

Code:
=char(252)

HTH

Upvote 0
...the character code for a tick using standard wingdings is =char(252)
~shippey
Thanks, Shippey. I was going to mention that and forgot. FWIW, in addition to the formula, you can just hold down the ALT key and type 0252 in the numeric keypad.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to have a customised toolbar contaning the Square Root Synbol (to represent a tick) or is there a short cut to enter this symbol into a cell without having to go via Insert / Symbol ??

Where this is on my computer (2003 / XP) is Insert > Symbol > Symbols tab, from the Font drop-down select Vladimir Script, from the Subset drop-down select Mathematical Operators, in the "from" drop-down select Unicode hex, scroll all the way to the bottom, and that square root symbol is in the second-to-last row, third square from the right.

Upvote 0
Heya, Tom, Kenny already knew how to do it this-a-way. He was a-lookin' fer alternative ways to drop in a checkmark-lookin' critter. ;)

How's things in SF? A balmy 8° in KC this morning (but the month-long cold snap ends this weekend - 40's or 50's by next week!)

Upvote 0
Hello Greg - -

I did not see that "without having to go via Insert / Symbol ??" qualifier when I wrote this in the 2 AM hour, but I did notice that the upper case P chackmark was different and more "checkmark-looking" (how apt) than the actual square root symbol so that was what drove my blind enthusiasm, thanks for your post.

Weather here in SF is cold by California standards, barely up into the high 50's this week, but it'll be sunny and high 60's this weekend just in time for the spring training reports we'll be seeing on TV until April for the Giants and A's. I empathize what many folks in the US midwest and east are dealing with, I lived through 24 years of that in upstate New York and Michigan before moving here in 1983. We have our earthquakes, fires, and mudslides, so it's pick your mother nature poison I guess, no matter where you live.

Upvote 0
Format the cells with the Marlett font and use a lower case a to get a check mark.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back