Find column heading,find row value,then return value from ce

explorious

the column headings are in row 1.ie d1,e1,f1,g1,....etc.the numbers are in column d2,d3,d4,...etc.For example,if i type a name of a column heading into cell a1 and type a number into a2,how do i get the value(returned in cell a3) where column and row meet.ie. look along row 1 for value (typed in a1)then look down column d for value typed in a2.return value into a3 of the cell
where both column and row meet.
the ap
This message was edited by explorious on 2002-03-17 20:17

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
On 2002-03-17 15:10, explorious wrote:
the column headings are in row 1.ie d1,e1,f1,g1,....etc.the numbers are in column d2,d3,d4,...etc.For example,if i type a name of a column heading into cell a1 and type a number into a2,how do i get the value(returned in cell a3) where column and row meet.ie. look along row 1 for value (typed in a1)then look down column d for value typed in a2.return value into a3 of the cell
the ap

Shouldn't the layout be something like:

row 1 from E1 on houses names and
column D from D2 on houses numbers?

Aladin
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-03-17 21:53

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-17 15:10, explorious wrote:
the ap
This message was edited by explorious on 2002-03-17 20:17

Upvote 0
Hi

There are many ways to do this and a Pivot Table would probably be best. But try this formula

=INDEX($D$1:$L$1000,MATCH($A$2,$D$1:$D$1000,0),MATCH($A$1,$D$1:$L$1,0))

D1:L1000
Is the table
D1:D1000
are the row labels
D1:L1
are the column labels
A2
is the Column heading to find
A1
is the Row heading to find.

Upvote 0
Hi Explorious:
As Dave Hawley said there are many ways you can approach this ... one way would be by using the MATCH and VLOOKUP functions. Using the layout delineated by Dave Hawley above, the formula in cell A3 would be:

=VLOOKUP(A2,$D$1:$L$1000,MATCH(A1,$D$1:$L$1000),0)

the MATCH function locates the column number of the selected heading for the value to be matched in cell A1, and then the VLOOKUP function locates the selection for the lookup value in cell A2.

I hope this is what you are looking for ... please post if it works for you, otherwise explain a little further what you are trying to accomplish!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back