'Unable to open file' error across network

Donquick

Using Excel over a 5 pc network, one of the machines will corrupt any excel file it tries to open on the public area of the server. The message is ‘Unable to open file’ after the file has nearly loaded. If the open is attempted a second time on the same file excel just says ‘Done’ at the bottom of the screen but nothing appears.

Any attempt to use the file on another machine after the process described above will not work either. The file is irredeemably corrupted.

Other machines on the network do not have this problem ever.

The machine concerned is running Excel 2000 (9.0.2027) but so are some of the others.

I was wondering if anybody has come across such a situation in the past. Any help gratefully received.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hostile yes....

erm my call is this assuming all on E2000 compatabilty is no issue.. But the files fails, but what i woudl do is this.

made a doc called AAA TEST1 so easy to fine and open on different PC and amend and save re open on original PC if all ok this test the network and files.

Now re save close and open on doggy PC.. see if it works.. if not do not oopen twice... open on others PC and re save so silly anendment. This just makes Windows re save and write to the hard disk, clean new save,

Now then if all ok open on doggy PC and see if opens if not TOTALLY CLOSE EXCEL and cold boot (that means leave off for 2 minutes and turn on) network and do not open any other applications Windows, network and open Excel new doc.

Now my trick.. try this... explorer the network and find the docclick it and holf the mouse down drak to the excel bar bar the system tryay (that the excel open application at the bottom of the screen, drag and hover the mouse over this, and do not let go.

Wait few seconds
Exel will jump and re open, col ha!

now drak this file into excel any cell will do and wait the mouse will be a cross ... let go.

Excel is forced to bust open the xls file and deviver its cargo...... is data.

If this fails try again see if you get error.

If the doc bugs... then, IT dept need to re build the PC, let me know on more

Poss will work can do...

Hope so!

Upvote 0
Thanks you for your detailled help. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem.

On the drag and drop etc. i just get the good old 'Unable to read file'

I have noticed that the problem only really occurs with larger xls files.

I have just tried to reinstall Excell (and all of office) for that matter from the CD and fouund that this has not improved matters either.

Generally the reinstall for office components does nothing because the system keeps so may of the settings that you were using and you end up where you started.

Thanks again, any other ideas

Upvote 0
OK

TOTALLY un install Office, and re load.. if you followed exactly what i said bit messing but then its upset

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back