A Macro Question

kluitna

Board Regular
This is more a question of curiousity.

Why does a macro sometimes reference an old workbook ie(the one it was created in) when the code has been copied to a new workbook. I have a macro that does this everytime I run it, it pops up a file dialog box, looking for its old file path. No where in the macro is a reference to a file path and in the same module there are macros that were copied from the same old workbook that work just fine. I find this quite odd.

Anyone know what causes this?

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Not a solid idea....Show the naughty code.

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-03-18 17:43

Upvote 0
The common problem for this is a "manually" created toolbar, that hasn't been attached to the workbook. So, it just keeps looking for the "old" file...

I always try to create my toolbars on the fly (At opening, and delete them at close)

Upvote 0
Nate,

Here is the code in question:

Sub copy_top()
'
For i = 0 To 29
Range("c6:c17").Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets(1 + i).Select
Range("c6").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Next
Sheets(1).Select
End Sub
-------------------------------------------
Sub copy_bottom()
'
For i = 0 To 29
Range("B24:G35").Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets(1 + i).Select
Range("B24").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Next
Sheets(1).Select
End Sub

both macros reside in the same module and both were copied form the same workbook. But the the copy_top, trys to look for its old spread sheet like a lost puppy.

Juan, what you said makes since there are several macro tool bars tied to excel it self, from a previous user. What confuses me about this is it doe sit even when I run from VBA editor. Any ideas, this is more of an annoyance than anything else, the macro still does its job, its i just have to hit cancel for every sheet. Not something I want in my final product.

Upvote 0
I think your post that Barrie just responded to is pertinent. If you have a link to a cell in another workbook that does not exist in the designated file path in the range c6:c17 you will get a dialog each time you try to paste the bad link.

Get rid of the bogus links and your troubles are all behind you.

Hope this is getting warmer...

Cheers,<font size=+2><font color="red"> Nate<font color="blue">O</font></font></font>
This message was edited by NateO on 2002-03-19 09:47

Upvote 0
Nate,

I think you are right, That makes prefect sense now. And it just hit me how you remove the links. Duh.. If I am right you just clear the contents in the offending cells and save and the links should be gone.

I will give that a try anyway, seems to be the way to make it work...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back