SUMPRODUCT() question

John McGraw

Board Regular
A while back, on this board Aladin kindly demonstrated for me how to use sumproduct as a conditional count better and more powerful than countif(). I think I am getting the hang of how it works, but need some further help. I do the following to count where two conditions in two seperate columns are true:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A50>5)*(B1:B50>10))

I think what happens is that each array is evaluated, then the two are multiplied. So 1*1 (for true values) would = 1. And 0*0 or 0*1 would = 0. Then they are all added together, to produce a count where ">5" AND ">10" are true. Am I right so far on the mechanisms of how this works?

I am also curious on how I could perform an "or" count in the same fashion. I thought about using:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A50>5)+(B1:B50>10))

But the problem is that the 1+1's = 2. Thus giving an incorrect final count.

I tried using countif() and OR(), but I couldnt get it to work. So I am looking to sumproduct() for a solution. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks for any help!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
*sigh*

yup, it's very probable I'll be using 250 criteria ummmmm vertically

ie if one of my criteria labels is "Project" there will be 200+ of them listed downwards

I had been using a VLOOKUP to check them, but it meant 25 minutes calculation time and helped swell the filesize to over 14megs...

Dave's DSUM and DCOUNT funtions look like making my tax checking life much easier

:)

Upvote 0
Hi John and Dave, ... :
I am going to pick up here where Dave suggested using the Database functions in Excel ... couple of things, we can use the DCOUNT function and we don't have to do use the sum function at all, and 2) we don't need two crireria, we can have the two conditions to be fulfilled in a single criterion. So, with

COL A = {01;06;07;01;08;03;05}
COL B = {01;11;12;01;01;01;03}

so if my data is in cells A18:B25, and my criterion is in cells E18:F20 (head1>5, or head2>10), then my formula to get the count to satisfy the criterion is:

=DCOUNT(A18:B25,1,E18:E20) ... resulting in 3
or
=DCOUNT(A18:B25,2,E18:E20) ... resulting in 3

Well, what do you think guys ... I didn't miss anything here did I? please do post your comments back!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back