two inputs for one cell

kotting

I am working on a spreadsheet for scheduling. For the "OFF" days I have validated the enteries using a list of initials for people. I want also to add an option for people to color code the cell to indicate: vacation, sick, personal, etc. I am stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
If you only have 3 Conditions you can use Conditional formatting, otherwise you will need some VBA code.

Upvote 0
I've tried using the conditional formatting. Already I have a list of validated entries for the cells. After the entry into the cell, I want a button to recognize the last cell selected and color it to a specific color. I will have 3 or 4 buttons each set to a distinct color.
I've tried using "last selected cell" and "Target.Interior.ColorIndex=3". Sorry for being such a novice but I am really interested in learning how this works.

Upvote 0
Thank you. It worked beautifully.
Although I've run into another (I think much harder) problem. I arranged shifts into three categories: day, afternoon and night. There are three required people on each shift per day. BUT we have in place a shift rota that requires that an entry into one cell (at random) be copied to specific cells to fill the rota correctly.
I've looked a simple solution such as A1=C3,C4,C5 but that means for each cell I have to enter a different formula. I was thinking of something along the lines of: IF(A1=text,"1","0") Then using the 1 to fill the cells assigned - then i lose the specific text. (In this case initials in a list defined by data validation.) In this way the wrong text cannot be entered so I think it would be easy to copy to the other cells in the list. But the solution eludes me still. I hope I'm not asking too simple of questions. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back