Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: two inputs for one cell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am working on a spreadsheet for scheduling. For the "OFF" days I have validated the enteries using a list of initials for people. I want also to add an option for people to color code the cell to indicate: vacation, sick, personal, etc. I am stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rest in Peace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you only have 3 Conditions you can use Conditional formatting, otherwise you will need some VBA code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried using the conditional formatting. Already I have a list of validated entries for the cells. After the entry into the cell, I want a button to recognize the last cell selected and color it to a specific color. I will have 3 or 4 buttons each set to a distinct color.
    I've tried using "last selected cell" and "Target.Interior.ColorIndex=3". Sorry for being such a novice but I am really interested in learning how this works.

Rest in Peace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean:

ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex=3

Have your button run this code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. It worked beautifully.
    Although I've run into another (I think much harder) problem. I arranged shifts into three categories: day, afternoon and night. There are three required people on each shift per day. BUT we have in place a shift rota that requires that an entry into one cell (at random) be copied to specific cells to fill the rota correctly.
    I've looked a simple solution such as A1=C3,C4,C5 but that means for each cell I have to enter a different formula. I was thinking of something along the lines of: IF(A1=text,"1","0") Then using the 1 to fill the cells assigned - then i lose the specific text. (In this case initials in a list defined by data validation.) In this way the wrong text cannot be entered so I think it would be easy to copy to the other cells in the list. But the solution eludes me still. I hope I'm not asking too simple of questions. Thanks again

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others