Incredibly large files

flightjock

One of my workbooks, containing just a few sheets with a limited nr of rows and cols had grown to the incredible size of >14Mb. When I incidently looked in the (Alt-F11) Project explorer I saw that the sheets in this workbook had very odd names, such as "sheet211111111111111111111111111111". Trying to solve the problem I created new empty sheets in the workbook, copied the contents of the old sheets into the new ones, deleted the old sheets and saved the workbook.. To my surprise, the filesize had shrunk to a few hundred kb.
OK, so I solved the problem, but I don't understand how it came up and how to prevent it in the future. Any advice would be more than welcome

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Why this occurs:

You're copying a sheet, then copying it again, and again. *Internally*, Excel numbers the Sheet1 copy as Sheet11, then a copy of Sheet11 as Sheet111. After while, the names exceed the allowable characters.

Fixes.................

1. If you cannot open the file, get someone with Excel XP to open it for you.

2. If you can open the file, save it to an Excel 5.0/95 version. Close and reopen, save as your version.

or

3. If you can open the file, try copying the sheets to a new workbook.

Avoiding..............

When you've got a spreadsheet setup where you need the same format, create a formatted sheet and copy IT anew each time. Like copied documents, do not make a copy of a copy of a copy.

Additional............

I'm not able to recreate this in Excel 2K, so believe it is something that occurs in 97.

Hope this helps!

This message was edited by Dreamboat on 2002-03-19 05:11

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back