Spreadsheets for Bayes, GLM, Eigenvalues, curve fitting

codyswan

Where are some good places to look for excel-based tools related to statistical analysis using Bayesian methods, Generalized Linear Models, Eigenvalues, and curve fitting for multiple types of distributions (e.g., beta, lognormal, weibull)?

I'm hoping for free software or at least free demos. I want to try it out rather than buying and returning several pieces of software.

Thanx

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I have quite a bit of experience in doing some of the things your looking for. But, the best thing I can tell you is that you are much better off using a canned package like Matlab or S-PLUS to do these things.

Curve fitting (on a modest level) can be done quite easily in Excel. However, something such as eigenvalue calculation is a very intensive process and I don't believe that Excel is the place to do it. If it's important to have the results back in Excel, you can always OLE link the other App. I work in a trading environment and traders absolutely love Excel. But, we can' do most of the intense calculations there. So I automate the other App (S+) from Excel and send the data back and forth.

Regards,

Doug

Upvote 0
I used @Risk extensively a few years ago. I downloaded the current version and it does much of what I need. The curve fitting is much better than before.

@Risk doesn't do Bayesian analysis or Eigenvalues. I believe some of the other Palisade products do Bayesian. I'm also taking a look at Winbugs for the Bayesian part.

I'll take a look at Matlab for Eigenvalues.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back