Wildcard in an If statement

Amileaux

Board Regular
Does a wildcard (* or ?) work in an if statement? For example in A1 I have the word "nextlevel" (wo the ""). In A2 I have: If(A1="nex*","Ok","No"). I have even tried If(A1="=nex*","ok","no"). In both instances I get "no", when I should be getting "ok". I figured out a work around using the left function - but still think the if statement should have worked.

A related question, when would I use "nex*" versus "=nex*"?

Thank you. Marie

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

I don't know of a wildcard, but this would work:

=IF(LEFT(A1,3)="NEX","OK","NO")

This will look at the 3 leftmost letters of A1. If they are NEX, then you will get OK, otherwise NO.

Does this help?

Upvote 0
On 2002-11-04 16:14, Amileaux wrote:
Does a wildcard (* or ?) work in an if statement? For example in A1 I have the word "nextlevel" (wo the ""). In A2 I have: If(A1="nex*","Ok","No"). I have even tried If(A1="=nex*","ok","no"). In both instances I get "no", when I should be getting "ok". I figured out a work around using the left function - but still think the if statement should have worked.

A related question, when would I use "nex*" versus "=nex*"?

Thank you. Marie

Marie,

You can use...

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("nex",A1)),"ok","no")

which uses case-sensitive FIND. Otherwise, substitute SEARCH for FIND.

You can of course put "nex", the substring to look for in a cell of its own, e.g., in C1 and use...

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(C1,A1)),"ok","no")

Aladin

Upvote 0
Thanks! Had to try to "isnumber" one to see "why" - great idea. I take it that a simple if statment will not work. Thanks again. Marie

Upvote 0
Does anyone know a way to incorporate nesting into this equation? In column A I have a list of product descriptions, and in Colomn B I'm tryinig to put an "X" if certain prases are found in the cell next to it in column A. I've tried to incorporate the OR function into this but it isn't working. For instance with the above example, I would have done:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(OR("Nex","Big","Red"),A1)),"OK","NO")

It doesn't seem like the OR function can be used with the FIND function no matter how I order the function. Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board...

You'd have been better opening a new thread for this, but try:

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"Nex","Big","Red"},A1))),"OK","NO")

Matty

Upvote 0
Also, be aware that SEARCH is not case sensitive, whereas FIND is. Change to suit.

Matty

Upvote 0
I have made some changes to your formula. The correct one will be this -

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(FIND("Nex",A1)),ISNUMBER(FIND("Big",A1)),ISNUMBER(FIND("Red",A1))),"OK","No")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back