self-renewal password in Excel

trillicomm

Board Regular
I have two concerns. Excel's password feature can be disabled once you know the password. Second, if not diabled, it is the same password at all times. Well, I want to create a self-renewal password for opening an excel file. For every 15th days of the every month, the password changes itself. For ex: the original password is "temp11". If the file is open AFTER the 15th day of month April, it creates the next password such as "temp23". The format of the password is similar: always "temp" plus "increment of 1" plus "ascending prime numbers". However, it must have a permanent master password to disable the self-renewal password. My client knows the self-renewal password but not the master one. Any advise?

Best regards,
T. Le
This message was edited by trillicomm on 2002-03-19 16:06
This message was edited by trillicomm on 2002-03-19 16:13

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
I don't think is possible to do this with the Excel protection...

u need to do it with a dialog box and coding... that should do.

good luck :)

Upvote 0
No reason why you can have password chage to pre defind PW on > 1st jan or > 15 jan or > 1 feb etc

but your need to know the new password, odd that, so you need to memorise many passwords, or be sneeky.

If this is sheet protection add cqll in autoopen so password jumps.

if module.. not so easy.. .

remember passwords can be opened cracked, regardless..

take some VBA to do this thou....

Upvote 0
I am sorry...I am still clueless. I am not a VBA expert. I need more step by step advise. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Trillicom,

that prime number bit may be a bit of a drag..... unless you have a pretty big database of existing prime numbers, you're going to have to have excel figure out the next one...

since a prime number is not divisible by anything except itself and "1", you need to check that it's not divisible by all the integers between 3 and it's own square root. Asking excel to do this may take some time and thusly affect it's performance...even via VBA, as each new password requires this whole checking procedure up to the next prime number....

:eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back