Files take ages to load and save for me - but ok for others

Dawson

I have made a large excel based VBA application that I distribute for friends. THe basic problem is that the file is taking longer and longer to open and close on my PC - but it is fine on other peoples PC's as long as they don't edit contents and save multiple versions.

Using Excel 2000 on NT4

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
On 2002-03-19 23:05, Dawson wrote:
I have made a large excel based VBA application that I distribute for friends. THe basic problem is that the file is taking longer and longer to open and close on my PC - but it is fine on other peoples PC's as long as they don't edit contents and save multiple versions.

Using Excel 2000 on NT4

If slowinf and slowing time to clean up your PC, temp files and as networked, check with IT Dept does email bounce from C local drine to network and back, if so need house keeping to muck in outlook will upset the smallest runnings of large files.

Also check that PC specs are same memory and chips, just in case, but sure good house keeping and clean out redundant files, will help no end.

Upvote 0
Jack,

I doubt whether this is a network issue as it the problem continues to gets worse when I work reomtly.

I am wondering whether this is some clash between excel and windows 2000 - a friend had the same problem but when he changed user profile on his machine the problem "reset" itself - i.e. started opening and saving at normal speeds then became worse.

I've cleaned up my hard disc and deleted loads of temp files etc - but this hasn't helped.

Still very confused.

Upvote 0
I am wondering whether this is some clash between excel and windows 2000 -

Odd excel version will be 85 97 or 2000 on wY2K doubt XP)2002) erm.. i do not know why this could be of agro, have yopu upgraded excel or windows.

Though if you have change w95 with e97 to wY2K with E97 that will knacker iot as they never were built to run together tahs backwards if you get me,. but other that that should run ok...

OK try resave as new XYZ and also export sheet by sheet into new book to break the cycle.

to be fair withoutthe wkBk in lost.. need to see really, i would rip it apart and re save as .

To rip abart o would copy only the data from each sheet and paste over and name everything as original save everyu two seconds incase crashes...

and rebuild teh wkbk this way. yhis means only data is transfered over, not rubbish, and also as i say never copy macros export them when written and import the bas file into this new book keeps things cleam,

Its a rebuild job and will hopfully trigger the sheet to be friendly.

Soounds like loads of work but might jut do the job...

Upvote 0
sorry been thinking:
I have made a large excel based VBA application that I distribute for friends.

What size is the file?

THe basic problem is that the file is taking longer and longer to open and close on my PC - but it is fine on other peoples PC's as long as they don't edit contents and save multiple versions.

don't edit contents
Erm... what happens?

save multiple versions.
sorry i feel very silly idea of Microsoft save as seperat file named version 2 or 3 4 5 6 ok in one wkbk is trouble for sure.

Using Excel 2000 on NT4
NT4 cane out when 97 or 8 ?? thisis backwards but i know millions of my company customers that use this and even XP on NT4 so can be that.. are you patched up on Windows and Office?

thinking......

No i know again millions who are not patch anyway can be that im confident

let me know who you go if the sheet is small enough would love a look at it..

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-21 14:42, Jack in the UK wrote:
What size is the file?
save multiple versions.

let me know who you go if the sheet is small enough would love a look at it..

Jack - the two files (there are two apps that this happens on) are 2.5mb and 28mb respectivly. I will try and recompose the smaller application - the larger app has been rewritten in Access anyway by a collegue.

I may have misled you before - I am running 2000 OS, not NT4 (got confused).

I have all up to date service packs installed - I could upgrade to XP if it would make a difference but I am concerned about backwards compatability with other users.

The comment about multiple versions - do you mean that if I "Save As" book1a.xls then book1b.xls etc - things could get worse?

I am wondering whether one sheet in particular may be causing some issues - this is the sheet where all data for the app is stored - I formatted all cells in the worksheet at one point in the past - maybe this has lots of useless saved data. I will try this rebuild idea later this weekend and see if it makes any difference - however I can't understand why this would make the file handling get progressivly slower when I only made minor code changes.

Very sorry but no way I can share the app - more than my job is worth I'm afriad.

Thanks for the advice,

John

Upvote 0
Very sorry but no way I can share the app - more than my job is worth I'm afriad.

Sure i understand!

Loads of redundant dta formulas is poss and are common bloat the file size.

Xp office is backwwards compatable as far as i have tested .

If the 28 mb is data and you vlookup say it will crawl...

try as suggested let me know...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back