no move and paste

Aries

I have a worksheet with many formulas. Can I restrict the users from moving and pasting cells (paste values only is allowed)? I can only lock cells with formulas. Cells for data input must be unlocked.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hi Aries

All cells are Locked by default, but this has no effect until the sheet is protected, Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet.

The cells you want to allow data entry into need to be Unlocked via the Format dialog.

Simple way is this.

Select any single cell
Push F5 and click Special
Select "Constants"
Click Ok
Go to Format>cells>Protection.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't understand your point.
I want to prevent the users from moving the cells for data input as it will change the address in the formulas in other cells.
I am not familiar with the goto (F5) function, how can I acheive my goal with it?

Upvote 0
Another way to Format the cells is to:

Select the cells you want to unlock (or allow your users to modify, such as data input cells)
Right Click and select Format Cells
Click on the Protection Tab
Uncheck the box marked Locked
Click OK

Now protect the sheet as normal and the only cells your users will be able to change are the ones you unlocked
This message was edited by Audiojoe on 2002-03-20 02:34

Upvote 0
I know how to unlock the cells.
But what I want to do is:
I have a rectangular range of cells unlocked. Users can input data into the cells. But if they mistakenly input data into wrong cell (say the next column, which is also an unlocked cell), they tries to move the cells to the correct address. I want to prohibit these moves.

Upvote 0
The formala reference will only change if they "Cut" the cell. This is by design if you prevent this from happening the consqueces may be worse! However if this is what you want there is one non VBA approach I can think of. This is to enclose all cell references in your formulas with the INDIRECT function
=INDIRECT("E1")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back