Random Number? Formula?

spg2112

Hello All,

I have a grid, rows are profit per unit, starting a 500 and going down to 3,175 in increments of 25. The columns are units starting at 25 and going to 250, incrementing by 5.

I want a formula to calculate a number that is always greater than the cell to the left of it, and always greater than the cell above. Can't go over 40 though. Each column will start slightly above 0 and max at forty.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Are the numbers you gave (ie 500 to 3175 and 25 to 250) just column and row headings? How high above 0 do you want the numbers to start at?

Upvote 0
Yes, the columns actually start at 1, then 5 10 15 20 etc...to 250. The Rows start at 500 and go to 3175.

I want to start around .5 and max at 40. I've been playing with RAND()*(C6-D5)+D5, but that's not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Upvote 0
Don't have time to figure this out, but I will send it to the top of the list. For clarification, do you want the number to be greater than the cell above and less than the cell to the left? Your description in your post did not make sense.

Can I ask what the significance of the row and column headings is and why you want random numbers from .5 to 40?
This message was edited by Al Chara on 2002-03-20 15:44

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back