COUNTIF based on two criteria--Help

Radsan

I have data in two columns. Column B has calculated string values of "BMAJOR" and "BMINOR" and column C has date values.

I am trying to get a count of how many occurences of "BMAJOR" or "BMINOR" occur for every week starting today. I have column AJ which returns today() and column AK which returns today()+7. I can individually count number of occurences of dates that fall within these dates with the following formula. This for row 2.

=COUNTIF('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215,"<="&AK2)-COUNTIF('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215,"<"&AJ2)

This counts number of dates between two dates computed in columns AJ(today()) & AK(today()+7). I am now trying to count only those dates that fall within the week, which have "BMAJOR" in the corresponding column in the same row.

I tried using an AND statement:

=(COUNTIF(('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215,"<="&AK2)*('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,"=BMAJOR")))-(COUNTIF(('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215,"<="&AJ2)*('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,"=BMAJOR")))

I also tried entering it as an array and naming the ranges. But it returns an error every time. Any help will be highly appreciated. Below is a sample data for next week:
sample-sm41.jpg

So basically for week 17/09/2007 to 24/09/2007 the formula should return values of 4 (BMAJOR) and 4 (BMINOR).

I would be grateful for any help or ideas.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Make a column for concatenate of bmajor/bminor and the date. now put the criteria as the concatenated value of bmajor/bminor and the date.

HTH,
Regards,
Nachiket Pendharkar

Upvote 0
Assuming you want to count for just seven days, i.e. today and the next 6 days

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215< AK2),--('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >=AJ2),--('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215="BMINOR"))

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your responses.

I tried this one:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215< AK2),--('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >=AJ2),--('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215="BMINOR"))

But I only get #NA in the computed column. No idea why..

I can concatenate the values, but what criteria? Based on text, right/left formulas?

Upvote 0
But I only get #NA in the computed column. No idea why..

This probably means you have #N/A values somewhere in the data in 'Decision Tree'!$B$4:$C$215. If you can eliminate the error values the formula should work

Upvote 0
This probably means you have #N/A values somewhere in the data in 'Decision Tree'!$B$4:$C$215. If you can eliminate the error values the formula should work
Yes, I have #NA values in some of the rows.

But these are by design and the #NA is meant to be there. Is there a way I can account for these?

So I was mistaken when asking for help. The column can contain 3 values, viz., BMAJOR, BMINOR & #NA. Apologies.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have #NA values in some of the rows.

But these are by design and the #NA is meant to be there. Is there a way I can account for these?

So I was mistaken when asking for help. The column can contain 3 values, viz., BMAJOR, BMINOR & #NA. Apologies.

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(
     --('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >= AJ2),
     --('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 < AK2),
     --ISNUMBER(MATCH('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,{"BMINOR"},0)))

Upvote 0
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(
     --('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >= AJ2),
     --('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 < AK2),
     --ISNUMBER(MATCH('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,{"BMINOR"},0)))
Thanks for the code and all the help. I really appreciate it.

But I am still getting #NA in the computed cell. Maybe it will help if I post a sample of the data showing columns/rows containing the #NA cells. I am sure this is because, where column B contains #NA, column C will also inevitably contain #NA as shown below.

sample-sjz1.jpg

I can do some medium level excel stuff, but such code is beyond me. As such, even with the code presented in a platter, I have no idea what it is doing and need to study this a bit more. :biggrin:

I will be grateful for any further help.

Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter...

Code:
=SUM(
    IF(ISNUMBER('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215), 
    IF('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >= AJ2, 
    IF('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 < AK2, 
    IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,{"BMINOR"},0)),
      1)))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAT RG

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back