excell just hangs..... and hangs..... and hangs.....

hi.. i need some help!..
up untill yesterday.. i have been using excel 2k with windoze me with no problem...
now all of a sudden.. excell just hangs when i try to open an excell file...
i don't even get a splash screen...
it just hangs....
so i tried to open excel by itself and i get the splash screen and then nothing.. it just hangs...
so when i try to ctrl,alt,del...
i get the message .. run out of resources.. please close other prog.. and try again...
or something like that...
but it was the only thing i had running!.. i closed everything i had open even before i tried to open excel.. and still the same problem!...
i even updated msoffice to sr-1... and still the same thing...
and i am not on a network...
can ne1 help?..
thanx..
The Fishman

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
ok.. i tried the /e thing... still no luck.. it still hangs and fills up the memory...
so i am going to uninstall the whole thing.. i will keep you posted..
thanx again for all your help!..
The Fishman ?;o}

Upvote 0
ok... now this is getting ridiculous...
i uninstalled microsoft office...
and reinstalled the sr-1 version...
went to click on excel.... and............................. nothing!..
it hung up again!... it seems to be flooding my memory!...
i keep getting out of resources....
word works...
outlook works...
everything but excel!..
someone out there has to hace an answer!...
The Fishman ?;o{

Upvote 0
Hi

The issue of Virus is real but i dont know of any attacking Elcel.exe, or not that ones i have or have layed with, most attack docs that the Microsoft files and dlls and like vbrun???.dll and nowdays kernal32.dll with will distroy PC's most are email attackers via worms.

Scan with LATEST edition updates,

But

try control+alt+delete and see whats running if loads of programs try closing some ONLY the ones you know not explore .. worth a very close look on virus side see if explor.exe and explorer.exe are running ...

Delete explor.exe only thats a nasty... and will never go away unless distroyed, and windows wil nedd re load.

sound very OP that windows to me.. not excel...

Lat me know.. also if you have email check if you recv attachments say 14 days before the errors happened and who from, email a few friends excel files WHO HAVE VIRUS protection of cause and scan the files..

I would say email me but im hotmail so wont work..

did excel files open in word????

Upvote 0
Try this, George:

Excel closed (since you can't open it, should be no problem).
Hit Start-Run and type regedit and hit Enter.
Browse to the following folder as you would in Windows Explorer:

Office97:
hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice8.0Excel

Office2K:
hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice9.0Excel

Right-click the Excel folder and rename it to OldExcel and hit Enter.
Close the registry editor.
Launch Excel.

Have you checked the contents of your XLSTART folder? Make sure there isn't anything in there that YOU didn't put in there yourself. Most things in there can be removed without problems. Let us know what's in there, if anything, and we'll talk about it.

Reinstalling Excel (or Office) does not fix a registry problem. If you really find you need to reinstall Office, you need to use a program called Eraser.

Office97:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q176/8/23.ASP

Office2K:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q219/4/23.ASP

Okay to do regedits here, Jack? Hope so! And thanks tons for the feedback you gave!

Upvote 0
Hi All and Dreamboat

Okay to do regedits here, Jack? Hope so!

Not my call, thats the posters and we offer best fix we can to any prob so fine by me, however your post is prefection re regedit..

You ahve asked me i OK of cause it is, but personally i would not post such details just like tripping macro protection which we all want to do ill never post that to danderouse, but thats my opinion, as i say you are totally correct, but others might not get on so well - having said that i would never have explained what you have in so simple easy to follow terms so ill copy that for later.

I was going to sugets symantic system works from homesite on trial and run to fix errors i have often suggested that before which will auto correct reg and all the errors after a scan, utilitys 2000 its called well all know it - only thing i trust. and is free on trial and will get you out of trouble. but it will only do as you have already covered on the reg part.

And thanks tons for the feedback you gave!

Hey just telling it how it is and how i see it... heart on sleeve to much i guess but felt i should say if something is that good, this i did ..

Very well done = keep going

Upvote 0
This could one of several things--registry entries, custom menu/toolbar files, addins, startup items, printer drivers etc.

This type of issue is usually fairly easy to revolve; however, it may take 10-20 steps to get to the point where I know what the problem is. Also, the steps to repair this problem can be dangerous and incorrectly deleting Excel configuration items or making changes to the registry is not something I like to just casually recommend. Trying to do this in the context of a forum is very difficult because I'll need to have you do things that could break the system.

So this is the point where I'd like to encourage you to call the Microsoft Excel Technical Support Group. Since you get two free incidents of support with your Office product, it's the easiest, quickest way to get a resolution to this problem. Their number is 425-635-7056. The customer service agent will connect you to a friendly, helpful technician that will resolve this problem and get you up and running quickly.

Upvote 0
Mark,

If the OP has waited for 6 months to get excel to open, my guess is he's out of business by now.

Paddy

Upvote 0
it could be a corrupt add-in or automacro, template.

try starting excel in safe mode - that's the /s switch.

So, start excel with: excel.exe /s

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back