excell just hangs..... and hangs..... and hangs.....

hi.. i need some help!..
up untill yesterday.. i have been using excel 2k with windoze me with no problem...
now all of a sudden.. excell just hangs when i try to open an excell file...
i don't even get a splash screen...
it just hangs....
so i tried to open excel by itself and i get the splash screen and then nothing.. it just hangs...
so when i try to ctrl,alt,del...
i get the message .. run out of resources.. please close other prog.. and try again...
or something like that...
but it was the only thing i had running!.. i closed everything i had open even before i tried to open excel.. and still the same problem!...
i even updated msoffice to sr-1... and still the same thing...
and i am not on a network...
can ne1 help?..
thanx..
The Fishman

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
How's the memory on your computer - Possibly get rid of the temporary internet files and also any temp files at 0kb.

If this has no effect a reboot is the only other suggestion I can make right now.
Is it just excel or do other applications hang?

Upvote 0
it is just excel!.. word works fine!
its driving me nuts...
i have to work with forms created in excel.. and i cant open them...
but if i copy the file i want to open to another comp.. it will open fine!...
shold i uninstall it then reinstall it?...
it looks like that when i start it up.. it overloads my memory and gets caught..
because when i finally get it to close..
after all the out of resource messages...
i can't start anything else!..
i cant even get my start menu to show up!... it shows up blank!...
i keep getting the same message!...(out of resources)

Upvote 0
Before uninstalling anything try copying your file to another folder and see if it works. I have had this problem before, but it was just the one file that seemed to be causing the problem.

Can you open excel application from the start menu without it giving you problems?

More board input on this would be welcome.

Upvote 0
probably a worhtless suggestion, but Jack posted yesterday about bypassing the splash screen : right click on your excel icon (or shortcut) and in properties / shortcut append an " /e" to the end of the bit that ends with xyz excel.exe... this will bypass the splashscreen

if it's *just* that screen which is the problem this could bypass it and restore you to full roadrunner status

Upvote 0
Hi Mate ====

Sounds like you have troubles...ermm let me see.. try thisopen a new doc different one see what happens

try start new office doc and choose Excel...

Excle 2000??? ok right click on the desktop and select new, chhose excel ss and do not remane it = try to open it as will be new born file...

Try opening the doggy file in word does it open, won be able to read all but does it open.. re save as new followed by origanal file name and open in excel.... preserving the original notice...

OK Tech issues... My pal Chris suggest the /E trick i let out yesterday, will stop curupt splash screens which can often happen, more fun word splah screen but thats being silly... yes i have before Chris asks.

Next i would finf the office 10 dir and find the file in excel dir called normal.xls DELETE IT, i mean it kill that file ONLY no others re boot and open excel... doe it work...

try to open you doggy file ... sucess>>>>

If so add worksheet and save NOW wit the active sheet the new blank one, copy the file and paste in same DIR will be abc(2) now open the version (2) if opens rename and us that one....

let me know.....

Notresorces or Windos just Excel getting grumpy with Windows but the sound of it so it hangs, one of a million things i guess.

HTH
Rdgs
==========
Jack

Upvote 0
hi guys.. thanx for all the input!...
i tried the /e thing.. but i keep getting a message.. that it is not a vaild file or folder.. please search and try again... or something like that...it wont let me rename the shortcut...
i will try the other suggestions..
thnax again for all your help..

Upvote 0
in my post, the ""s aren't needed... so that shortcut should end like this .....EXCEL.EXE" /e

I'm sure you tried this though..

HTH
Chris D

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back