Format Picture to appear behind contents in cell

schick98

How do I format a picture so that it appears behind the contents of a cell? My pictures always coverup the cell contents.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
What I really need is an image to appear between the color of a cell and the contents of the cell. Any help?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can get the picture to be transparent (or semi-transparent). You can make a "Watermark" -like effect with WordArt on the sheet, but not with a picture.

One weird idea that may work for you is to copy your cells as a picture and manipulate the image. Possibly even a chart sheet would do it. Here's how:

1. Select your range.
2. Hold down the Shift key
3. Choose the Edit Menu Option
4. Choose copy picture.
5. Paste this picture of your data over the original picture.

I don't follow your second post, so I could be totally misreading your request.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply Jay - Your first sentence answered my question - I am wanting a picture to be transparant like the Word Art. However, I could not use the word art because I am wanting a logo to appear behind a certain group of cells. You had a great idea with making the cells a picture then pasting, but the contents in my cells are dynamic. Thanks anyways for your help.

Upvote 0
When you say your cells are dynamic do you mean the range size is changing? Much tougher.

If not, you still might be able to do it through a macro. Create another area for your "report" and include the picture there. When you are ready, have the macro do the hard part for you, copying and pasting to the other area.

Of course, this is still just an idea. I believe the tinkering with the sizing and the positioning would be a tough task.

Regards,
Jay

Upvote 0
When I said dynamic, I meant the contents of cells are constantly changing, based on the input by the user. But I like the idea with the macro - I will have to play around with it to see if I can get it to work well.

Upvote 0
Check this out. Get your logo and put it in some graphics program, or use Snag-It from http://www.Techsmith.com to get an image of your logo in the approximate desired position that you would want it on your worksheet and then all the white space you'll need to fill up the rest of the worksheet (this is not a GREAT workaround, mind you, but worth a shot maybe). Then format-background with a picture and choose your picture. The image/logo/white space WILL repeat at some point, but perhaps you're only using a certain print area that won't cause a problem for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back