Concatenate, but onto new line

rj183600

I want to bring together three columns of text into 1 column. For example:
A = CommentA
B = CommentB
C = CommentC

If you concatenate (=A&B&C) you get CommentACommentBCommentC. I know you can put in characters and spaces using "" inbetween the & (e.g =A&","&B&","&C), but is there a way to get excel to move the next comment onto a new line within the same cell so it looks like:
CommentA
CommentB
CommentC

was looking for help in this area...needed to put multiple pieces of data in same cell, but wanted to get a line, or 2, between the info.....found out that it you hit alt + enter while in a cell, not only will it create a row with double lines, not really what i wanted, but when you inserted that cell in your concatenated cell(between commas and just before where you want your line break), it would then put a new line exactly where you wanted. a couple of things, first is you need to remember the cell you did it in (or name the cell something that makes sense, see below) because there are no markings in the cell to indicate anything is there.

also, when concatenating, i've found it easy to fill "formatting" cells with any punctuation that i might need and then renaming the cell whatever shortcut works for the punctuation, ie, com for comma, hyp for hyphen, so that you could also name this line insertion cell something like "dal" for drop a line or "aal" for add a line or "aanl" for add a new line. then when you are concatenating, you can either enter the cell name or click on the cell with the formatting.

obviously for those purists who like to type these things in with quotation marks, that works too, but this helped me. thanks for the info about the alt+enter keys and love the forum as supplies most of any info i need.

kenman

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
This work great for me! What I wanted to do was concatinate A1 and A2 together in A3 to create a dynamic lable (A3) in a chart I had; but having both side by side would have been too long. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Thanks Glenn,
your answer indeed was the correct one. Howewer it wasn't working for me as my Excel is in german. So if the CHAR(10) does not work it is because of language settings. Here is how it looks like in german:
=A1&ZEICHEN(10)&B1&ZEICHEN(10)&C1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back