Importing into Outlook Contacts from Excel

Shantel

I am trying to import a spreadsheet filled with names, addresses and numbers from Excel into my Contact file. When I go through the steps using the wizard in Outlook, it tells me that I need to go to my Excel spreadsheet and select the range of data that I want to import. I need to know how to do that. Does anybody know???

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
This basically means select all of the information you have.

If your first entry begins in A1 and the last entry's information ends in F5, just click in A1 and hold down the button. Drag the mouse until all of your information is selected and let go.

Hope this helps,

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. I used the wrong word though. It asks to Name the range of data you want to import. The Excel spreadsheet has to be closed before it can be imported, so, just selecting the data doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Ok. Well, to name a range, you still have to start out by selecting your information.

There is a little box with a dropdown arrow right above column A that tells you what cell your cursor is in. That is the "name box." Click in there and name it contacts or whatever you wish.

Upvote 0
I tried that. I named the ranges, example column A I named "Names" and selected all the names under it and column B I named Address, etc. When I went to import into Outlook it imported each cell as an individual contact. So, I had one contact that had just a name in it and another contact that had just an address in it. How do I get the names, addresses and number in the same contact and create one contact for each row of information?

Upvote 0
I tried to do this, but Outlook here at work won't let me. Something wasn't installed.

Anyway, I think that might have something to do with how you named it. Try selecting everything at once (not column by column)and give it one name, so you only have one big range.

Let me know if it works!
Hope it helps,

Upvote 0
I wish you could get to it! You have to have the disk to install it. Anyway, I tried that too. I selected a single row and called it "Contacts" and when I went to import it, it asked me to match the fields with the field in the Outlook Contact file. I did that and everything seemed to go ok, but when I went to try and find the contact I just imported I couldn't find it anywhere! I did a find search, I looked in each alphabet, but it's not there. I imported it, but I just don't know where I imported it to! I think I'm going to throw out my computer! :)

Upvote 0
Hmm. I wish I could help you more, but apparantely I can't :(

There is a new page for Microsoft Office in general here. There's a forum there, too. Maybe they can help you a little better than we can here!

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back