Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Formula Trouble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gentlemen-

I would very much appreciate some help setting up a formula to apply to a grid of numbers.

Ex:
    A B C D E
    1 2 3 4 5
    1 9
    2 8
    3 7
    4 6

What I'd like to do is input a formula ONCE and copy/paste so it applies to the whole grid, returning the result in the intersecting cell of the column and row.

For instance, the product of 1x9 would display in the intersecting cell of the 1 and 9; the product of 5x6 would be displayed in its corresponding intersecting cell.

This is really easy to accomplish by cutting and pasting by rows, but I'm dealing with several 250x250 matrices, and a one-time cut and paste shortcut would really help. Thank you!

Steve

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you trying to create something like this formula ?

=B$1*$A2
    Regards,

Juan Pablo González
    http://www.juanpg.com

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-21 19:53, sjp6375 wrote:
    Gentlemen-

I would very much appreciate some help setting up a formula to apply to a grid of numbers.

Ex:
    A B C D E
    1 2 3 4 5
    1 9
    2 8
    3 7
    4 6

What I'd like to do is input a formula ONCE and copy/paste so it applies to the whole grid, returning the result in the intersecting cell of the column and row.

For instance, the product of 1x9 would display in the intersecting cell of the 1 and 9; the product of 5x6 would be displayed in its corresponding intersecting cell.

This is really easy to accomplish by cutting and pasting by rows, but I'm dealing with several 250x250 matrices, and a one-time cut and paste shortcut would really help. Thank you!

Steve
    Hi sjp6375:

If I understand you right, you have A1=1, A2=2, A3=3, ... and you want B1 to be =2, B2 to be =3, and B3=4, ... and then you want Am*Bn to be = mXn
    Well I guess it can be done in several different ways, but this is what you need to do
    1) key-in your values for A1, A2, A3, ... as 1,2,3,...
    2) in B1, write the following formula
    =$A1*COLUMN(B1)
    now you can replicate it in B1 through whereever you want (you can go upto IV65536 if you like)
    I believe this is what you wanted ... please post if it works for you, if not explain a little further what you want, and let us take it from there!

Regards!

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
    Energy Efficient Building Network LLC
    www.energyefficientbuild.com

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others