Command Button Turned Into An Image???

kstrait

This is a very unique and interesting problem that I have never seen before. I had a workbook with multiple sheets. I have command buttons on each sheet that are used to run various macros that I've written. All of a sudden, the button's are no longer clickable. When I try to access their properties, they are treated as images and no longer recognized as buttons by excel.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Every button on every sheet is no longer working. I can create a new command button and it works just fine but the existing ones are useless.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Make sure that on your "Control Toolbox" Design Mode is NOT selected.

Upvote 0
Make sure that on your "Control Toolbox" Design Mode is NOT selected.
You clearly didn't read the entire post.

This happened to me also. I haven't figure out yet.

Anyone else got an idea about this issue?

If i find out ill post here.

Upvote 0
Does one of your macros leave multiple sheets selected? This has been known to cause an issue.
And zaonpt, iggy has a valid answer as his entire post didn't mention whether he was in design mode or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does one of your macros leave multiple sheets selected? This has been known to cause an issue.
And zaonpt, iggy has a valid answer as his entire post didn't mention whether he was in design mode or not.

he said ".. they are treated as images ..." with design mode on this doesnt happen, u click and go to the code, not to image properties.

as for sheet selection, no i dont select sheets.

Upvote 0
This sounds like the Windows Update issue... Try closing all Office programs, then doing a search on your computer for *.EXD files (not .exe).. Delete all of them (you may need to include hidden files & folders). Then try again, the activeX buttons should now work.

Upvote 0
FYI, I do believe it's the temp file(s) created by the latest windows updates causing the problem.
For those who may not know how to manually find the *.exd file and delete it, you can just run your system cleaning program and let it do it's thing.
I use CCleaner, but basically, any similar program should do the job, but not sure about the native windows Disk Cleanup.

Upvote 0
I'm quite sure I didn't get any windows/office update, between getting various error with button ActiveX. Does sb have another reason for this error then update?

Upvote 0
Hello and sorry for waking up the sleeper.

For some reason all my ActiveX Command Buttons saved in an Macro-enabled Excel file (*.xlsm) turned into images.

I tried all of the above and more:

1. closed all Office apps
  2. deleted all *.exd files
  3. made a drive cleanup with the internal tool including system files
  4. cleared the Windows TEMP and User AppData\Local folders
  5. restarted the computer
Same old, same old.

Is there anything else I can try?
I have MSO365 annual subscription, is there a customer chat that could assist me?

Any help appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back