Zipcode lookup?

Von Pookie

MrExcel MVP
Ok. This one isn't mine, I was just asked to find out if it's even possible (personally, I don't think it will be, but I guess we do anything for our loved ones, don't we? :wink:)

My husband has a spreadsheet that has address info of about 7,100(+/-) companies.
Unfortunately, none of these have the zip codes.

He would like to know if there is some way to set up a macro or something to look at the cells with the city and state, determine the correct zip code and have that automatically entered into a blank cell.

Would any of you out there have any ideas other than having to go through the USPS zipcode lookup on their site?

Thanks a bunch, guys! :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
There are zip code databases that you can download off the internet (most are not free). Then a very easy look up macro can be written.

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-22 14:13, Von Pookie wrote:
He would like to know if there is some way to set up a macro or something to look at the cells with the city and state, determine the correct zip code and have that automatically entered into a blank

Most large cities have more than 1 Zipcode. And then there's different Zip+Plus codes that can correspond to a floor in a high rise building.

Upvote 0
Hi Al,
I work on a similar kind of application . Could you tell me where these zip code databases are available on the net. any sites you can let me know about?
regards,
ken.
On 2002-03-22 14:35, Al Chara wrote:
There are zip code databases that you can download off the internet (most are not free). Then a very easy look up macro can be written.

Upvote 0
HI al, can you give me the web address of the sites that offer these zip codes?
Regards,
Ken

Upvote 0
I downloaded and installed SpeedKey just to try it out.

Can anyone help me with how to get Excel to look it up?

Sorry to be such a pest, but that's what the board is for, isn't it?:)

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Well, the good news.....I'm REALLY bored at work, so I downloaded, sppedkey, extracted the ZIP data and saved it as a spreadsheet. The bad news....how to get that to you?

Also, you have to keep in mind that for many Cities, it will have several different zipcodes, so you will be looking up a zip for that city, but not necesarily the correct one.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back