Selecting multiple cells

sciguylvms

Dragging to select multiple cells always causes me a problem if I have to select cells that are not on the screen. When my cursor hits the bottom of the screen the selecting process takes off and I can't stop the scrolling until it gets to around row 800+.

Is there some key I can push that would slow down the scrolling or stop the scrolling while I'm dragging/selecting?

Thanks, Sciguy

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi Sciguy

Unfortunately the easiest thing might be to look in the Excel help for "shortcut keys".

Wheel mouse can also help, once you get the hang of them..or so they tell me :wink:

Upvote 0
Copy the cell.
Go to Edit>GoTo and type the range you want to fill in the Reference box.
Paste

Or if you merely want to select a range, go to Edit>GoTo and type the range in the Reference box.
This message was edited by Afcb on 2002-03-24 07:26
This message was edited by Afcb on 2002-03-24 07:30

Upvote 0
Another way of selecting multiple cells is to use the shift/end/arrow key combinations. Select the first cell, hold down the shift key, press the end key, and then press any of the arrow keys, repeat end and arrow key multiple times if you have to. The only drawback is the selection process stops when it encounters an empty cell, you will have to repeat the end/arrow keys to select more cells (while still holding the shift key down.)
HTH
Peter

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-24 07:25, Afcb wrote:
Copy the cell.
Go to Edit>GoTo and type the range you want to fill in the Reference box.
Paste

Or if you merely want to select a range, go to Edit>GoTo and type the range in the Reference box.
This message was edited by Afcb on 2002-03-24 07:26
This message was edited by Afcb on 2002-03-24 07:30

Hi,

A similar idea, only less keystrokes/mouseclicks:

Use the Name Box and type in your range to select (e.g. A1:B630). Equivalent to using the Edit>GoTo feature.

Both of these are nice options.

Also, if this is a range that is commonly selected, naming it may help, too.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
Hi sciguylvms:
To keep control of what you are selecting, hilite the first row of your selection, then while holding the SHIFT KEY, navigate with UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT keys till you reach the destination cell ... this way you wouldn't have things flying all over the place!

Upvote 0
If selecting a large number of rows, say 800 or so, I tend to find that pressing shift and page down seems to work better than just dragging the mouse arrow down. But, if you have no empty cells then the method of using shift and end is best.

Alternatively, if you are confident writing VBA code, perhaps you would like to type Range{"A1:A560") etc. from the immediate window in the VB editor, which would be a minimised window of course so that you can see both the excel spreadsheet and the immediate window at the same time.

Hope this helps

RET79

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your input.
All ideas were very helpful. Yogi, your advice was most helpful and gave me the most control...thanks :)
Sciguy
This message was edited by sciguylvms on 2002-03-24 08:37

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back