protect from being pirated

Billm

Board Regular
I'm a novice to VB but I hope you can help me. I have written an Excel spreadsheet which I want to distribute to people .. but I want to restrict it from being copied or sent to 3rd parties. Is there a way of coding something in VB that can stop this ?

I was thinking along the lines maybe of extracting some info from the registered users windows registry and incorporating this into their copy of the spreadsheet .. or password .. thus if that copy is run on another computer .. then it wouldnt load the spreadsheet.

Any ideas .. or are there plug-ins that can do this sort of stuff.

Thanks
Bill

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
thanks .. it looks like I can password protect the VBA code from that link .. but what I was really looking for .. is a way to stop the spreadsheet from running if it has been illegally copied and is being attempted to run on another computer.

Upvote 0
I asked that question before myself. I was told that you could take some of the imformation that opperates your worksheet out and put it into a ( .dll ) file. But since I know nothing about programing dll's, Im back at square 1. Maby you could find a programer that could do this for you.

Upvote 0
After I set the password and come back into VBA, I can still see the VB code and can still edit it. Is there something else i need to do to protect it? any help would be great. Thanks.

Greg

Upvote 0
Hi
Use a dll.
xlVeryHidden all of your sheets.
Lock your project.
Call the dll to make your sheets visible.
This will stop most people.
They can copy your workbook but cannot see it.
Can cutomize dll for each registered license.
Will need VB, C++, ect to compile dll.
Tom
This message was edited by TsTom on 2002-03-25 00:57

Upvote 0
Hi

These posts are fine guys but help very little i have posted this question mant times and have done so for myself and others, but not one person has a usable answer, writting dll files in c++ or VB and needing that to even edit them is a bit far from usable to all bar a very few of us... the original poster dont care about protection, so dreamboats link hardly helps or answers the question. dave asvises hopw to opperate protection to kake effect and then we hear of writting dll files.

Come n guys does anyone really know and does anyone have an example..

I hjava question Dll are not all complied so why can we text edit them and save as dll??? will this not work as a reference, so the code need to be hidden agreed and call the file Jack.dll and that will check sub UK() equils Jack.dll in compleat form, not edits else fails... i beleive this is the idea, so the guy can have files that will not run on another PC....

Well thats my take and what i get asked many times, like Java appel;et protection to programmers credits if your java script boys you understand..

Upvote 0
Small dll file for Jack to edit for me:

MZd  ÿÿ ¸ @ € º ´ Í!¸LÍ!This program requires Microsoft Windows.
$ NE<È  ƒ     @ P h · » c      œ Pœ * L q
L  € 4  0 € RSRC16 WEP MYGETFREESYSTEMRESOURCES16
DLLENTRYPOINT THK_THUNKDATA16   KERNELUSERÿÍ? Í?t Í?^ Í?X Resource Meter thunks ^ � XZhu h h h RPêÿÿ thk_ThunkData32 ÿÿ U‹ìƒ~
tjÿšÿÿ ¸ ÉÊ
¸ Ê ¸ÿÿU‹ìŽØÿvšÿÿ ÉÊ ¸_ U‹ìŽØh@ h4 ÿvfÿvš ÿÿ= À@ÉÊ  
      ‹L   k  :  ²  LS01¯ ÿÿ   ÿÿ rsrc32.DLL rsrc16.DLL     à4 VS_VERSION_INFO ½ïþ 
 Î
 Î ?    r StringFileInfo ^ 040904E4 &  CompanyName Microsoft Corporation 1  FileDescription Resource Meter 16-bit thunks 
FileVersion 4.10.1998   InternalName RSRC16 < ( LegalCopyright Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1994-1998 # OriginalFilename RSRC16.DLL 9 ) ProductName Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System 
ProductVersion 4.10.1998 $ VarFileInfo   Translation ä

Oops!

Hee Hee

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back